PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would YOU Pay?

Dick Stout
08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Posted this on my site/blog, and thought I would share it here as well. Curious to hear everyone's opinion....

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY?

After many years in this field I have come to the conclusion that the only way we can fight city hall is with a strong national organization. Yes, we have a few now, but we need ONE to do the talking and ONE to do the fighting. I have also come to the conlcusion that for this group to ever be effective it has to be a full time job for them with paid employees.

We can continue on as we have in the past, and attempt to right the wrongs with emails, letters, phone calls, etc., but it seems to be a long, drawn out, and mostly ineffective process. Yes, we win one or two here and there, but we also lose far to many. Frankly we need to put our money where our mouth is, and by that I mean, how much are you willing to pay to have such an organization fighting for you?

I say this with no agenda. I don't care which of the main groups out there take on this task. Just that it has to be full time, and it must be fully funded. So tell me, how much are you willing to pay, to have this group represent you? An NRA membership is $25 per year. Are you willing to shell out that much? I say that much because I suspect a lot of you would bitch at that, but hey it's a little over $2.00 per month.... Likewise the metal detector manufacturers would have to pony up too.

If you are reading this, and have an opinion or a suggestion, go to my blog and leave a comment. I believe it's time for all of us to put up or shut up.

Thanks,

DS

del
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
thats a very interesting idea Mr. Stout but i thought that FMDAC did something like that
(looked out for detectorists rights) for $20 a year membership.

Dick Stout
08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately the FMDAC hasn't done much of anything lately. Membership costs are lesser if you belong to a club, and the FMDAC is not a full time organization with paid employees. I founded the FMDAC, and had hoped it would be that ONE group that could do it all, but over the years it has lost it's way. Today we have the FMDAC, WWATS, AMDA and the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights. They are all well meaning organizations that work out of their homes, and do what they can, when they can. Unfortunately that's not enough any more.

I cannot see anything worthwile coming of any of these groups UNLESS they are full time, dedicated, paid people, funded by TH'ers and the Manufacturers. Just my opinion....and NO I am not interested in being part of any of this. Been there, done that, and too old. Just would like to see something take shape that really works.

Dick Stout
08-21-2012, 06:47 PM
And please don't be afraid to post your comments, feelings, etc. on my blog page. The comments are there for a reason...

del
08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately the FMDAC hasn't done much of anything lately. Membership costs are lesser if you belong to a club, and the FMDAC is not a full time organization with paid employees. I founded the FMDAC, and had hoped it would be that ONE group that could do it all, but over the years it has lost it's way. Today we have the FMDAC, WWATS, AMDA and the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights. They are all well meaning organizations that work out of their homes, and do what they can, when they can. Unfortunately that's not enough any more.

I cannot see anything worthwile coming of any of these groups UNLESS they are full time, dedicated, paid people, funded by TH'ers and the Manufacturers. Just my opinion....and NO I am not interested in being part of any of this. Been there, done that, and too old. Just would like to see something take shape that really works.

well then the question to ask ourselves would be how can we keep this other detecting group from becoming like the rest then . i would like to see a active lobbying group on behalf of honest hobbyists like ourselves , to open some doors and keep our pursuit of happiness from being illeagal. i would think manufactureres would be willing to help out financially as it would benefit them in the long run , i know some already do actively promote it .

Dick Stout
08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
And who promotes it?

del
08-21-2012, 08:24 PM
And who promotes it?

Minelab has tried to get other manufacturers to go into somekind of joint venture and solicite some lobbying but was unsuccessful , they have promoted some other causes though. they just met with archaeologists i have worked with and i believe they are going to coopperate with their project and use this example of collaboration to generate goodwill and PR.

Dick Stout
08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
The Task Force IS Minelab. They donated thousands to the group, and so far no other manufacturers have come on board. Likewise I have checked out their website pretty much every day....nothing new to see or read. Difficult to get other manufacturers involved in a group created by one of their competitors.

When you hold a hunt, as in the recent Minelab AC event, and give away 15 metal detectors, why would another manufacturer want to participate? They care about their distributors, dealers, etc., and as you know giving away detectors for events has pretty much slowed down. Hunt packages have become the norm of late.

Look at it this way....if you owned a company, and your competitor asked you to join HIS OR HER organization, you would be a little leery. Add in a totally Minelab paid for
event in AC.....what would you do?

JMO, and again, please feel free to share YOUR thoughts on MY site or blog.

Dick Stout
08-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I suspect no one here ever visits my website, but do me a favor and please read the comments from Butch Holcombe (American Digger Magazine)....June 17th post, Latest News. This will tell you exactly where we stand with archaeologists, and where I stand with them.

It will never get better as far as I am concerned....

del
08-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I suspect no one here ever visits my website, but do me a favor and please read the comments from Butch Holcombe (American Digger Magazine)....June 17th post, Latest News. This will tell you exactly where we stand with archaeologists, and where I stand with them.

It will never get better as far as I am concerned....

Mr. Stout i would of posted this on your website but did not see a place to post comments as i do occasionally visit your Standards website Blog , its not a bad site but i feel its very much self orientated . you sir have done so much for the hobby and have a wealth of knowledge to share to new and up and comming experienced detectorists but it comes across more like rants from a bitter old man who has fallen out popularity , no disrespect intended sir. i feel you could much better the new crop of detectorists with your wisdom , ideas , experience and great humor that you still show from time to time . i honestly disagree with you and Butch as i've been working with some great archaeologists for the last three years ( the 1637 Pequot War project) and i feel there will be a mutual understanding and respect at some point in the near future. i and a lot of others have seen the great work we can accomplish together sir. it hasn't gone unnoticed the archaeology world is comming around , slowly we can make a difference .

Respectfully ,

Dan

Dick Stout
08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Dan, thanks for the comments and appraisal of my site and who I am. I appreciate all perspectives. The place for comments was on my blog, which apparently cannot be shown here. If you go to the website you will see a link to my blog at the top of the Latest News page (no advertising there).

As for my site being self oriented, you are right. That's why it's called Stout Standards. It is MY website, and was originally put together so that I could gather up all of the many materials I had sitting around, old photos, articles, etc.. I have interest in putting up a forum.

You stated i feel there will be a mutual understanding and respect at some point in the near future. i and a lot of others have seen the great work we can accomplish together sir. it hasn't gone unnoticed the archaeology world is comming around , slowly we can make a difference . You may be right, but we all were saying the same thing back in the early 80's.

Thanks again for sharing your comments and opinions.

CyberSage
08-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I have most of your books Dick. I have really enjoyed your writing in the past. I would truly love to see you share some of your experience here on the forum rather than be frustrated with us. The lack of response on various forums could be taken as an indicator that this subject is of no interest to the average detectorist. A lot of folks just come to the forum to look at finds, and learn technique, settings, and learn about what's new in the equipment world. I would say most just look, and don't post much, and this is just fine. :yes: So, don't feel that lack of response is anything but normal. I don't think it means that folks don't care about the subject at hand, or feel that it is not important. On the contrary, sit down and have a cup of coffee with another detectorist, and you will find a lot in common, but You probably already know this. ;)

Sincerely,
Jack