PDA

View Full Version : Rusty RF Badge Questions

Sal66
08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I think I posted already but I have a preservation question . Dan (del) recommended using hairspray but as rusty as it is, that might not cut it. Has anyone tried using Varnish ?
I also would like to know if anyone has seen this version ? I looked around and can't find one with the RF on the front. All I know is I believe it's from WW 2 and RF means Royal Fusiliers which tells me it's from an Englishman who was in the Royal Army and basically worked with Bombs of all kinds. Is there anymore info anyone can help me with ? Why can't I locate anymore exactly like it ?
Here's the badge again :

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
thats awesome! is it iron? I don't see why laquer or polyurethane wouldn't do the job.how old is that? war of 1812?

Sal66
08-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I believe it's from World War 2 . Maybe it's World War 1 and that's why I can't find any like mine. It probably is made out of steel coated at sometime with Brass. I really need some help with this one.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
I believe it's from World War 2 . Maybe it's World War 1 and that's why I can't find any like mine. It probably is made out of steel coated at sometime with Brass. I really need some help with this one.

Sal that is way older than WWII in my opinion.looks more like pewter to me .did you try a magnet to it?

Sal66
08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
I just did. It's definitely magnetic. I know the house was built in the early 1900's and from what I can tell, the Royal Fusiliers were a part of WW2 but it might be actually WW1 . Dan (del ) knows where I found it and I think he said the house was built in the early 1900's . I didn't see the foundation because the house was knocked down and the cellar was filled in before I got there. I'll return in the Spring when all the brush and grass is thinned out and matted down. As far as coins go, I found a bunch of Wheaties but nothing older. Who knows it might have been built on an older foundation. I've seen that many times where you find a stone foundation and also bricks lying around. I guess I have to find out when England started there Royal Fusiliers division.
By the way Dan, the hairspray trick worked well. It's shiny now and protected from the glue in the hairspray . Thanks

Fire Fighter 43
08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Nice find, it is very cool. |:cheering: