PDA

View Full Version : cleaning coins

sjv
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
The best way, especially silver is to just rinse them off. With Large cents I use dish detergent , soak for as long as you want, let it dry and lightly use a toothpick to get some of the dirt and dried patina off. I have 5 2-cent pieces and they are very green, but that's what holds the detail. Indian heads are hit or miss. I find that the older ones are tough. Can't do much to them. The ones in the 1870's up, I use the method that I use with the large cents. One side is always better than the other,I hate it when the better side is not the date side. The coin as my avatar has been altered so it looks more brown because its too dark otherwise, but the patina makes all the detail come right out. It's a dark green.

John S
04-16-2010, 06:42 AM
You can use electrolysis to clean the silver coins. I'm not saying that is the best thing to do,but if you just want them clean that well do it and doesn't heart them. I would not do key dates.

RickO
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Hot peroxide does very well getting gunk off coins. Also, pure acetone is good for organic material and will not harm the metal. Electrolysis will work, but be careful.. too long and the coin pits. RickO

SHIMMER77502
04-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Don't make the same mistake I made. Had a bunch of clad - pretty crusted and nasty. I dropped them in a bowl with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water, then forgot about them. The next day I attempted to wash them off and they seemed to be separating. The penny's copper sheet was peeling up. Never thought about it and did not know the copper was just a thin covering......

Glad it was only junk coins. If it was something good you probably would have heard me crying all the way to New England...

coinnut
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't make the same mistake I made. Had a bunch of clad - pretty crusted and nasty. I dropped them in a bowl with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water, then forgot about them. The next day I attempted to wash them off and they seemed to be separating. The penny's copper sheet was peeling up. Never thought about it and did not know the copper was just a thin covering......

Glad it was only junk coins. If it was something good you probably would have heard me crying all the way to New England...

lol Yea, cleaning coins is a very delicate subject. It is often based on the individual coin rather than generically on the metal it is made of. You can group clads or copper Memorials and give them a general cleaning, (like tumbling), but when it comes to old coppers or silver, caution is the word :yes:

RelicHunterBob
05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
For silver coins a friend uses baking soda and aluminum foil. Place the coin and baking soda in the foil., boil some water and then drop it in. Should come out clean and no marks.
HH

Bob K

coinnut
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
For silver coins a friend uses baking soda and aluminum foil. Place the coin and baking soda in the foil., boil some water and then drop it in. Should come out clean and no marks.
HH

Bob K

That seems to be the best method for silver so far. Angel does it to some of his silvers and explains it well here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0

sjv
05-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Has anyone used just vinegar to clean clad coins? I posted a 1965 dime that's missing some of the copper along the edge in the coinshooters stories and pictures of finds section under dime error. Acouple people said someone might have soaked it in vinegar and it ate some of the copper, so I'm gonna have to try it and de-bunk that theory. I'm not the only one who has a coin like this. It's strange cuz the coin is also yellow front an back. Let me know what you think.

RickO
05-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Vinegar is very tough on coins... especially copper. It will also pit nickels very quickly.... RickO

RobW
08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I have found that when I dig large cents, they are extremely corroded. I use a lemon-lime soda, pouring about 1 inch in a small bowl and drop the coin in. I let it soak over night or for about 8 hrs. then scrub with an OLD soft toothbrush. I ave had a lot of success with this method. I also find that I need to do it to both sides.

Toadman
01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I use only spit on silver coins..If it don't clean, I leave it alone..

Dixie Rebel
01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Very good tips. Have not tried the baking soda in the foil yet just use plain tap water. I will give it a try on my next silver.

Carver
01-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I like the peroxide on my coppers

greg
01-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Has anyone used just vinegar to clean clad coins? I posted a 1965 dime that's missing some of the copper along the edge in the coinshooters stories and pictures of finds section under dime error. Acouple people said someone might have soaked it in vinegar and it ate some of the copper, so I'm gonna have to try it and de-bunk that theory. I'm not the only one who has a coin like this. It's strange cuz the coin is also yellow front an back. Let me know what you think.

I found a quarter just like that on the beach

DJW
11-15-2014, 12:30 AM
I have another hobby; Reloading for shooting. One of the tools I use is a vibratory brass cleaner. I have found that it works well for cleaning coins found both in water and underground. I use crushed walnut shell media that has been treated with red rouge. Drop coins in daily as I find them, leave the thing running in the garage 24 hours a day. Once in awhile I will dig a handful of coins out and remove those that are cleaned. Most coins come out looking like new (other than those missing pieces/chunks that have corroded or been hit by lawnmowers)..:shocked03: