PDA

View Full Version : UNIQUE DISCOVERY! (HARD TIMES TOKEN!)

sniffy
03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
So today was a rain day...no work. So what does sniffy do? HE DASHES FOR THE WOODS! I spent a couple hours in some areas I really haven't focused much attention. It once again pays off to go very slow and listen very carefully to tones. I don't pay much mind to VDI numbers, it seems to be a distraction. In between iron I found the pewter button...It gave a low tone with mixed up iron grunts....I dug and to my suprise...BUTTON!(no shank) The tombac was alone and screamed very loud. I thought it was gonna be a shotgun shell (found a nice patch of them) but ended up being another button. So, satisfied and ready to head out...I decided to sweep around an open area I'm sure Ive never checked before. Right before I was ready to shut my machine off and hike out, I got a nice tone at 6 inches. DuG...and out pops A COPPER! WOO HOO...ummm...wait...uhhh...what is this...BENEDICT & BURNHAM?....what? 1837...AWESOME! iT appears that its some sort of Token from the button manufacturers....very cool peice for my collection! This token is exactly the same size as a coronet Large Cent. IT feels and weighs just like a copper. I was convinced. BUT this is equally as exciting. Thanks for checkin it out!

xzlr8n
03-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Very cool find, probably worth some $$$$. Congrats thumbsup01

John M
03-27-2010, 07:11 AM
There you go Jesse that is a very unique find for sure.I just checked the token web site that both Dan and myself posted the link to and they do not have that one in their data base.Maybe if you send them some nice pics and the info they can add it and possibly give you some credit.All in all I would be very happy with that find.......Congrats.

Lowjiber
03-27-2010, 07:19 AM
That is a Kewl find. thumbsup01

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out some of the wording on it. Do you have more info yet? I realize it's modern, but think it's really nice.

I love tokens too.

sniffy
03-27-2010, 07:31 AM
That is a Kewl find. thumbsup01

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out some of the wording on it. Do you have more info yet? I realize it's modern, but think it's really nice.

I love tokens too.
You must be pulling some very old stuff to consider an 1837 hard times token modern....this token came from a site where 4 coppers were dug and an 1830 capped bust dime...I'm confident that this is from that time period.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-27-2010, 04:18 PM
cool find jess! i have the same token i purchased.here's a pic of it.i paid like $25 i think!
nice find!

del
03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
thats a very nice token Jesse if its made of copper , consider it one for the count. thumbsup01 it held up very well in the ground
i'm surprised its not gold gilted like their buttons . congrats

sniffy
03-27-2010, 04:46 PM
thats a very nice token Jesse if its made of copper , consider it one for the count. thumbsup01 it held up very well in the ground
i'm surprised its not gold gilted like their buttons . congrats
Im gonna go ahead and count it...it's too good of a find to not give it any credit....So that puts me up to 6. But what about that bust silver?...geesh...I wanna count that to...

coinnut
03-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice token. One place I saw had it for $91.00 in XF. A great hard times token. And it does count as a copper :yes: AS for the silver counting?? It's in a class by itself :shocked04: You don't have to count it lol

Lowjiber
03-27-2010, 09:22 PM
You must be pulling some very old stuff to consider an 1837 hard times token modern....this token came from a site where 4 coppers were dug and an 1830 capped bust dime...I'm confident that this is from that time period.

No kidding? :huh: ? I thought the date was just some advertising thing. I didn't realize it was real.

I got some learning to do.

Sorry...no disrespect. I really thought it was a modern token.

BTW: I don't dig old stuff. Living in California, anything prior to 1920 is ancient. My oldest find EVER is 1864.

coinnut
03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't dig old stuff. Living in California, anything prior to 1920 is ancient. My oldest find EVER is 1864.

1864?? Hey that doesn't belong out there. Give it back lol lol That's pretty good for California. Southern Cal should have some reales kicking around those parts somewhere. But you guys have GOLD COINS....something we don't have very much of :(

Lowjiber
03-27-2010, 10:07 PM
But you guys have GOLD COINS....something we don't have very much of :(

Our club in San Jose has over 200 members...about 75 of which are active MD'ers. To the best of my knowledge, only two have ever found a gold coin in California.

grinsebring
03-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Congratz on the hard times token. They are a rare find indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_times_token

My last one was found in NH along the Ct river. It was behind a house that was formally the front yard of a pre-rev house that went down in the 40s. For some reason, they stay in pretty nice shape compared to large cents. This one was deep, and was a secondary target. Always good to rescan the hole....Gil

coinnut
03-28-2010, 04:16 PM
That is one excellent Hard Time's Token grinsebring :yes: :yes: Probably the best, dug one I have seen. I believe it is the combination of metals that make them survive better than coins. That and some luck too lol

RickO
03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Very cool, congratulations. Hard times tokens are very collectable and carry some nice premiums. HH RickO

sniffy
03-28-2010, 07:07 PM

My last one was found in NH along the Ct river. It was behind a house that was formally the front yard of a pre-rev house that went down in the 40s. For some reason, they stay in pretty nice shape compared to large cents. This one was deep, and was a secondary target. Always good to rescan the hole....Gil
I was thrilled to death with this find. I couldn't believe the condition it was in...there was just a thin flaky crust on it...Yours is a very nice one indeed. I wonder if I'll ever find another?

z118
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Sweet dig! I was lucky to score a hard times token at the end of last season, though mine was holed. The post is here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.0

Congrats on your great find!

grinsebring
03-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Just dug through the closets for an hour looking for that token. I found it with a lot of other things I had forgotten about. I can assure you that token is in no where near the shape it looks in the picture. The flash setup I used gave it a nice sheen. Reading up on these tokens, many of them were bronze/copper and others could have nickle alloys. Def a lot better then those bronze deseased large cents. Oh and btw, :embarrassed: I apologise for snatching your thread. I was just so excited. :grin:.....Gil

sniffy
03-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Just dug through the closets for an hour looking for that token. I found it with a lot of other things I had forgotten about. I can assure you that token is in no where near the shape it looks in the picture. The flash setup I used gave it a nice sheen. Reading up on these tokens, many of them were bronze/copper and others could have nickle alloys. Def a lot better then those bronze deseased large cents. Oh and btw, :embarrassed: I apologise for snatching your thread. I was just so excited. :grin:.....Gil
My thread is your thread...I'm glad you dug that old token out and gave it some more life!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
hey what's my token? chopped liver? :ticked: you guys are tough on this copper deficient veteran i tell ya! :crying02:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-28-2010, 11:01 PM

wow grins! that thing is amazing! nice! thumbsup01 :twirlingeyes:

grinsebring
03-29-2010, 04:42 AM
DOH!

I woke up this morning thinking about those pics and why the token looked so good. They were stock photos I pulled off my photo collection. I have seen a few fast ones pulled in the hobby over the years, and I don't want you to think that I, well you know.....Here is a couple more recent snaps of this token...So glad I found it last night :embarrassed:....Gil

coinnut
03-29-2010, 06:55 AM
hey what's my token? chopped liver? :ticked: you guys are tough on this copper deficient veteran i tell ya! :crying02:

Dave....What token?? lol lol lol

DOH!

I woke up this morning thinking about those pics and why the token looked so good. They were stock photos I pulled off my photo collection. I have seen a few fast ones pulled in the hobby over the years, and I don't want you to think that I, well you know.....Here is a couple more recent snaps of this token...So glad I found it last night :embarrassed:....Gil

Still a great token. They hold up so nice. Just think, if all our coins held up that nice, what a collection we would have :drool: