PDA

View Full Version : tdi on the beach

del
08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
well this was the very first time on the beach with my TDI SL ,(boy what a beautiful sunrise i saw while detecting) anyone out was doing their own thing until the sun started to rise and as i looked around everyone was just captivated by the colors.
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2012%20finds/hamptonbeachmorning11.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2012%20finds/hamptonbeachmorning21.jpg

i have been chomping at the bit to get it out on the sands and all i have to say this machine is a beast on the beach :wow: . i had heard of reports of some guys being able to hit nickles at almost two feet deep in the wet sand :omg: and after last night and today ( maybe 5 hours total hunt time) i'd say those claims arn't that far off the trueth. i mainly focused on the low conductors ( yup i was after the gold) and ignored most coin-like targets and Hampton beach NH was the test subject. this beach is a very popular one with huge crowds this time but it sees a large amount of detectorists as well . on any given day you could see up to a couple of dozen hobbyists scouring the sands. when i first got there i set the machine up and was hitting bottle caps like crazy , very shallow ones until i tuned them out but the deeper ones still fooled the machine some and i didn't want to miss the gold sounding targets. pull tabs and deep bottle caps were normal at well over a foot deep and a couple hit nice at 18 to 20 inches :shocked03: a couple of nickles sounded good at well over 15 inches deep.i bobby pins are the scourge of the beach lol lol as the have a very gold like sound and are frequent i hit a clump of them (5 stuck together) and they were near the 20 inch mark :hairpulling: >:/ lol lol . i did hit a few sterling earrings and nice sterling bracelet , some junk jewelry and finally hit the 14k gold Irish friendship ring near low tide and it sang sweet at over a foot deep. i couldn't have been more pleased with this machine and am looking toward using it in the parks for the gold as well. HH all

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
08-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Nice hunt Del, it looks like the TDI did a great job at getting the deep ones. |:cheering:

buck57
08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Nice bunch of beach finds there del. :congrats: I'm hoping to get my first salt water hunt next year around this time. Great looking friendship ring. thumbsup01

Ill Digger
08-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I know you've been wanting to hit the beaches with your new TDI... but it still seems weird seeing a post from Del outside of the Relics section lol
And boy o'boy do you adapt well Dan! :yes: lol
Wow! Nice haul for your first go at it! thumbsup01 :clapping:
nice finds! Specially the GOLD! <:
Congrats! :grin:
I can't wait to see what your second hunt brings! :->

fsa46
08-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Yup, I can see a potential problem on the horizon. :yes: You better be careful Dan, or you're going to be bit by the sand bug.... if you aren't already. :thinkingabout:

I would consider that an awesome hunt <:, especially on a heavily hunted beach and your first time out. All of us would take a day hunting like that every time out. :happydance01:

It looks like you have a winner with that machine for those kind of conditions.

What kind of scoop are you using ?

del
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Nice hunt Del, it looks like the TDI did a great job at getting the deep ones. |:cheering:

thanks Jeff , it was such a nice change from fighting off the bugs and vegitation .

Nice bunch of beach finds there del. :congrats: I'm hoping to get my first salt water hunt next year around this time. Great looking friendship ring. thumbsup01

i'd do it more if i lived closer to the ocean , thanks Buck57

I know you've been wanting to hit the beaches with your new TDI... but it still seems weird seeing a post from Del outside of the Relics section lol
And boy o'boy do you adapt well Dan! :yes: lol
Wow! Nice haul for your first go at it! thumbsup01 :clapping:
nice finds! Specially the GOLD! <:
Congrats! :grin:
I can't wait to see what your second hunt brings! :->

Tim i can't tell you how awkward it felt for me posting in this section of the forum lol rofl
it was funny because friday morning i was surrounded by three other detectorists and it was getting to be low tide . my machine just went dead and i knew the battery died , so i packed it up and walked back to the truck to get the other one out of my dfx. i wasn't going to give up until i had some gold and when i got back they already had my spot taken . i guess it looked good to them because of all the targets i was digging. so i went to another section where one had already been to and third dig was the gold ring , i immediately yelled out to the three one of you guys missed this one and held up the ring lol lol . that tdi is great because i can move close to another detectorist and he gets the emi from my machine and not me . thanks Tim

Yup, I can see a potential problem on the horizon. :yes: You better be careful Dan, or you're going to be bit by the sand bug.... if you aren't already. :thinkingabout:

I would consider that an awesome hunt <:, especially on a heavily hunted beach and your first time out. All of us would take a day hunting like that every time out. :happydance01:

It looks like you have a winner with that machine for those kind of conditions.

What kind of scoop are you using ?

yeah Frank i could get use to the sand real quick , don't know if you go to Misquamicut beach at all but by the state beach they have those radio beakon antennas on the beach every now and then and detecting near one is awful emi. i consentrated around there as that tdi got no emi from it and i was pulling a lot of junk jewelry and bobby pins from that area. my scoop is just a small sand scoop with a three feet handle . so it was tough getting down to about 20 inches with it . thanks Frank

Thiltzy
08-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Nice to see you out beach hunting Dan. It is a nice change of pace for sure. You did awsome on your 1st TDI hunt and a 14k ring ta boot :wow:
You probably felt a little out of your element being at the beach and all but I bet you'll be back for more after scoring the 14k. Gold is at $1650.00 an ounce ya know ;)

aloldstuff
08-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Very nice going on getting yourself some gold. Hope this will not keep you from the cellar holes.

del
08-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Nice to see you out beach hunting Dan. It is a nice change of pace for sure. You did awsome on your 1st TDI hunt and a 14k ring ta boot :wow:
You probably felt a little out of your element being at the beach and all but I bet you'll be back for more after scoring the 14k. Gold is at $1650.00 an ounce ya know ;)

thanks Thiltzy , yes i felt a little peculiar not having to fight the sticks and low branches and the bugs lol lol . nice easy digging , i plan on doing more in the future with the tdi and with its capabilities i feel it tremendously betters my chances at finding gold and jewelry on the beach.

Very nice going on getting yourself some gold. Hope this will not keep you from the cellar holes.

nope Al i still love the early relics to much but treating myself to an easy day of beach hunting now and then will be a nice break . thanks

Dan

Sal66
08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
:perfect10: Dan I'm glad at least one of us did well. That Ring looks very Vintage. What kind of stone or Mineral is it. It has an early 1900's feel, no? I think that was my problem with your DFX. I wasn't getting deep enough. That Machine must take alot of getting use to, not having a display and using just sound. You must have to have good hearing, no? Or at least practice alot to recognize what's what. I know all the answers cause we talked so I'm doing this for those who might be thing of getting a Pulse Machine. I don't think it would be good for those with hearing issues like this old man, would it ? Maybe you can let me try it sometime ? :callme: Please?? LOL

Thiltzy
08-29-2012, 05:29 PM
:perfect10: Dan I'm glad at least one of us did well. That Ring looks very Vintage. What kind of stone or Mineral is it. It has an early 1900's feel, no? I think that was my problem with your DFX. I wasn't getting deep enough. That Machine must take alot of getting use to, not having a display and using just sound. You must have to have good hearing, no? Or at least practice alot to recognize what's what. I know all the answers cause we talked so I'm doing this for those who might be thing of getting a Pulse Machine. I don't think it would be good for those with hearing issues like this old man, would it ? Maybe you can let me try it sometime ? :callme: Please?? LOL

Good hearing does help out quite a bit for pulse machines. However, if your setting your threshold to a very slight hum, crank up the volume on the machine and have a good set of head phones, then it shouldn't be a problem.

The faint wispers are what you really want to target because thats where the old gold is. It doesn't take long for your ears to be trained for those wispers as long as your able to block out the wind and surf noise. Pulse machines are extremely good at finding those deep gold and coin targets.

Sal66
08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Remember there
's the Cornfields on the Horizen also. Hoping to find something nice there also, Right Dan??
I bet your Pulse machine would be great at the one I have picked out since there seems to be alot of mineralization there. Guessing because of the Fertilizer in the last 200 years. I got a date on the Copper I found in the Field down the street I found last year. It's a 1796 Draped Bust. I can now see the 7 and the 6 at the end. Good enough for me.
I think the Beach is going to be his retirement hobby in a few years when he buys a house at the shore, did I say a few years? Yea that's right, no? rofl
Seriously, if you do, I want an invitation. I also enjoyed my very first beach hunt this year in Maine. I didn't do as well but it was nice and easy and there's the pretty lifeguards and other females jogging up and down the beach as a added bonus. I met a Local Detectorist up in Maine and he's about 70. The guy says The reason there's not much good finds is that there's not enough older people in the water. What did you think he was referring to ?

PL8MAN
09-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Beautiful gold ! thumbsup01