PDA

View Full Version : Curious what others think....

Epi-hunter
03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I encountered a situation that was new to me, and I'm wondering how others would have reacted. It's still bothering me.

I was out detecting for a couple of hours in a park this afternoon, in a fairly desolate location, when all of a sudden I felt someone push at me from behind (sort of a medium-strength push on my lower back). It scared me as I had headphones on and hadn't heard anyone approach. I turned around and it was a boy, roughly 8 or 9 but on the big side for that age, and he asked me if he could try my detector. I told him sorry, but no, that it was a delicate machine and it could break easily, then I turned away. Then I heard someone call out to me and I turned around again and it was his mom. She asked me if I would let (boy's name) try my detector because they were thinking of getting him one. I told her I'm sorry, but no, this type of detector is not what he would want anyway, and I suggested a couple of detectors that he might like. She replied by addressing her son and saying sarcastically, intended for me to overhear, I'm sorry, (boy's name), but some people just aren't willing to help others.

:shocked04: :confused: I let it go without responding, and just turned around and continued what I was doing.

yazoo
03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Sounds like you handled it just perfect.All though you might want to get that third eye to paying a lil more attention. H.H. Yazoo

Cheap Thrills
03-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Dumb Kid and Dumber Mother !! That kid has no manners and it is easy to see why .You were more than kind in that situation Epi .You must have really been startled , he's lucky you didn't turn around swinging .
Some people have no respect for people or their property . You did right not letting the little Ogre handle your machine .On several occasions I have told kids the very same thing you have and not let them handle my machine . If they show attitude also tell them when I was a kid we were taught not to talk to strangers .
You did the best thing in continuing what you were doing and ignoring the not so mentally endowed woman only God knows what some of these morons are capable of nowadays .
You can rest assured that one day that woman's big mouth is going to get her in a heap of trouble if it hasn't already .
Yeah , incidents like that can tick you off for a while . I hope your next trip is pleasant and you find something extra nice to drown out this experience .

Baba

randy
03-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Letting it go without responding sounds like the best response, and best outcome, to that unfortunate situation.

CyberSage
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I think you handled it perfectly. They seemed a just little imposing. If only She knew who she was talking to. Your history of fair and just forum moderation, helpful demeanor, and welcoming of new detectorist to the hobby, speaks for itself. I would not give it a second thought. The fact that you will give it a second and probably third thought proves my point even more. That must have been very startling experience to say the least. The combination of the surprise along with the mothers verbal assault would make anyone think twice about the whole incident. Let this one go.

Jack

John M
03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Angie the only thing you should be bothered by is the way you got approached from behind.He could have circled around so you could see him,any one of us would have been startled by the tap on the back.As far as the way you handled their request was in the perfect manor.I would never hand over my machine to anyone I did not know.They could have very easily made a run for it or even smashed it to the ground.I think you handled yourself very well.

Ferrous
03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
I had a similar situation where some youngsters I had never seen before asked to try my detector. A couple of kids (16 to18 years old) were sitting ao o picnic table smoking and watching me. I kind of kept an eye on them, then they walked over and asked if they could try my detector. I said sure, if I could borrow your car. They just stood there for a second then walked away. Guess they figured the trade off wasn't worth it.

toehead
03-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I had a similar situation where some youngsters I had never seen before asked to try my detector. A couple of kids (16 to18 years old) were sitting ao o picnic table smoking and watching me. I kind of kept an eye on them, then they walked over and asked if they could try my detector. I said sure, if I could borrow your car. They just stood there for a second then walked away. Guess they figured the trade off wasn't worth it.

That's a good one! rofl I'll have to remember that if teens ever ask. The only time I have had something similar was with a young boy, and I also told him that it wasn't a toy and I didn't think his parents would want to buy it should something happen. He skipped off to continue playing on the playground.

hoser
03-27-2010, 07:07 PM
You handled it just right Angie given the circumstances. And Ferrous, I'm with you brother on this. I would have said I want all your drivers licenses and keys as well. That way I would have had names to add just in case. If I go somewhere questionable my wife sits in the car watching with the cell phone. Never know what idiot would wind up hurt trying to take my md. :beatdown: rofl

coinnut
03-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I woulda popped him one lol :bop: :bop: :bop:. What a rude bunch :rolleyes: Being alone you did the best thing you could have done. Don't give him your machine and keep the other hand on your shovel :bop:. When Dan and I hunt, we always wear one ear cup from the headphones on, and the other off, just for those types of situations. It's not as good for concentrating, but it's a lot harder for someone to sneak up on you.

Epi-hunter
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone :) That reassures me :) It has been haunting me. :-\

del
03-28-2010, 04:43 AM
i think thats the worst , when you get the ba-jeezus scared out of ya :shocked04: while your lost in your own little world detecting.
i think i get more gray hairs that way then what my kids try to give me lol lol . its amazing how little most people know obout detectors now days , they have this conception that their very inexpensive toy like detectors and just don't grasp that these are sophisticated machines that cost hundereds or into the thousands of dollars . I wouldn't have let him tried it either Angie
you did absolutely nothing wrong in that scenario . ;)

RickO
03-28-2010, 05:27 PM
You handled it in precisely the proper manner. As for the mother, well, there are obnoxious individuals all over. As long as they are leaving, I let them go no matter what they say. HH RickO

z118
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I agree that your response was the best for the situation, though likely not the most satisfying.

That's why I'm partial to the flimsy headphones I use; even with a nice threshold going I can still hear thing around / behind me. I don't like being snuck up on...

SHIMMER77502
03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Totally understand your position and concern and I think you did the correct thing.

Being female, detecting alone can put you in a very vunerable position. Last weekend at a local park there were a couple guys hanging around watching so I kept one eye on them the whole time. One of the guys came over to get me to go with him so he could show me where to find lost money. Yeah, right. I just revealed my Lesche digging tool and told him I wasn't interested. Don't think his eyes every left that tool......

tanacat
04-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice and assertive thumbsup01 I used to let kids at parks try out my prizm IV, but say nope to using my XLT lol I don't want them messing with my settings....

CBnKansas
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Good job Epi-
You can't fix stupid
It is pointless to try to talk sense with people like that, I say you did the best thing.

I had the opposite lady today at McDonalds. Her son walked out in front of me as I turned around with my tray, nothing was spilled, no big deal. She ripped him and made him turn and face me to apologize. I felt sorry for him. I was saying no big deal- I turned in front of him but she ripped him and he said he was sorry before I had a chance to take a breath.

It is odd the kid (or the mom) did not know that you don't walk up behind people and poke them. I hope you can hunt without being on edge on your next hunt.

cb

drew73
04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
i let a boy try my detector out one day at the park.next thing you know the were 10 kids :shocked04: