PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Coin to date that I have pulled up from the ocean depths

Thiltzy
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I was itching to get some hunting in today and being that it was too hot off the shore, I decided to go water hunting in the ocean today for bout 2 hours.
No gold today but I did find my oldest water coin today. After pulling up a 1919 Buffalo and some wheats, I knew I was in a good spot. I was wading about waist deep hoping for old gold in this spot but much to my surprise I did manage a large silver.

1900 Barber half was a find but I will have to say that I doubt you can find silver US coins much older than this. I mean there was nothing but a sliver of a coin left after I got done pulling her out of her encrusted salt water shell.

del
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
wow :shocked03: that one was in the tides for some time , glad you rescued it before it couldn't of been identified

Fire Fighter 43
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Congrats on the Barber half, WTG |:cheering:

Tony Two-Cent
08-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Never saw anything like that before! That Barber Half is something! I had no idea that the ocean would do that to silver coins over time.

Thanks for sharing this, neat find!

buck57
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM
:wow:. Great looking finds Thiltzy. They cleaned up very nice. :congrats:

Thiltzy
08-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Never saw anything like that before! That Barber Half is something! I had no idea that the ocean would do that to silver coins over time.

The only thing that holds up well in the ocean are nickles and gold. Silver coins get destroyed \:[

del
08-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Tony i've seen some of the mature beach guys come to our club meetings and the could have a silver rosie thats just beat to death by the ocean and also find a two hundered year old silver coin thats in prestine condition because it was locked in the deep sand for all that time .

Thiltzy
08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Tony i've seen some of the mature beach guys come to our club meetings and the could have a silver rosie thats just beat to death by the ocean and also find a two hundered year old silver coin thats in prestine condition because it was locked in the deep sand for all that time .

Not in my waters Dan. Every deep silver I pull is thin as paper. Maybe its different in other beaches....I'm not sure because I have only hunted CT waters.