PDA

View Full Version : V3 1st Silver and other goodies!!

xzlr8n
03-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Had a beautiful afternoon so what better to do than go metal detecting, glad I did too!! Headed out to a few older houses today with my son instead of the cellar hole sites. Used the the D2 with good success today, no noticeable difference between the 9.5 Concentric I used yesterday. Found my first silver :twirlingeyes:, a '42 Washington, glad to have broken the ice with this beauty. Rang up a little jumpy 85-86 VDI, but knew it was a coin and probably silver!! Found a real nice 1900 IH 8), and 3 wheats with a real good condition 1919. Other items of interest was a &quot:grin:erringer cap gun made in England, a railroad bag tag (at least I think it is) that says Roosevelt, NY and Fairbanks, IND - 1904 - Washington, these are really cool finds and is the third I've found so far. Also found my second Chauffeur License pin dated 1928, this one still has the threaded pin and nut. Found a brass lock and a riveted knife made by Holdey Manf. Co. Enjoy the pics and HH!!

Update- researched a little on Google and found that the Roosevelt and Fairbanks tag is not a RR tag but is for Teddy Roosevelt and VP Charles Fairbanks successful run for office back in 1904. :shocked04:

xzlr8n
03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Pics of the lock, gun, and rivet knife!!

coinnut
03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm jealous lol You have nice soil out there. Them coins are in great shape. Heck, all of your finds are in great shape :yes: That lock is real old too. Nice bunch of finds, all will display well. Great instinct on where to hunt today. thumbsup01

xzlr8n
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm jealous lol You have nice soil out there. Them coins are in great shape. Heck, all of your finds are in great shape :yes: That lock is real old too. Nice bunch of finds, all will display well. Great instinct on where to hunt today. thumbsup01
Thanks Coinnut, sometimes the wheats and IH's come out looking pretty good and sometimes they come out looking really rough, pitted, and eatin up from other sites. Generally though I find mild soil and the coins come out pretty good, the good soil also allows me to run the sensitivity pretty high. I clean the wheats an IH's up with hot peroxide, really works nice at loosening up the dirt encrustations. Snowy and some other member's put me on to this technique!!

Ill Digger
03-27-2010, 10:21 PM
A nice big piece of silver for the new V !!! thumbsup01
But the fob and badge are really super cool finds !!!
That is a old lock too...I know some old locks a pretty collectable !!
Awesome hunt !!
Congrats :grin:

Lowjiber
03-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Very nice. A little of everything and it's all GOOD!!!

Congratulations!!!

xzlr8n
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Seems like the lock is of interest, I thought it should go in my scrap bucket :embarrassed:. Hard to believe this thing might be worth something, the iron parts are shot. Does have some interesting markings on it though, some sort of crown symbol and VP. Here is some close up shots of it!!

Now if I can only find the tresure chest it went with, that would be awesome :twirlingeyes: :drool: rofl

del
03-28-2010, 05:23 AM
very good hunt , some silver , nice indian , wheats and some interesting relics . yeah your lock is an old one
possibly colonial too and a British import as well. congrats

coinnut
03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
very good hunt , some silver , nice indian , wheats and some interesting relics . yeah your lock is an old one
possibly colonial too and a British import as well. congrats

Yea, it does look colonial. We have found some at our sites, I don't know when the British started patents, or if they even put a date on them early on, but if it has a date, it's probably under that frozen keyhole cover lol I wouldn't try and move it :-\

yazoo
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Thats some nice goodies .Great mix of treasure. H.H. Yazoo

RickO
03-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Nice bunch of finds... that lock is definitely old... RickO

angellionel
03-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Those are some very sweet finds. I like the Roosevelt tag. Excellent find! thumbsup01

CyberSage
03-29-2010, 09:10 PM
That is really a nice diverse collection of finds. There is a lot of great everyday history represented here. I love these kind of finds. Sounds like you are getting a good hold on the subtleties of the V3. Congratulations on a fantastic hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

xzlr8n
03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jack!! I went back to the site today where I found the wheats and IH and had a terrible time with the D2. It kept falsing, siganls all over the place, about drove me nuts. Found 6 Memorials but was a challenge. Only difference I'm thinking was the emi from overhead wires was worse than it was on Saturday afternoon. I tried changeing the sensitivity, ran up and down the transmit frequency settings, pulled the battery, and ground balanced at several different locations to no avail. This site has been a tough for me in the past and I obviously missed the wheats and the IH. I thought the V3 was the differnence Saturday for the good finds but maybe it was the lower EMI:huh::huh: I'm going back tomorrow to test the D2, 9.5 concentric, and 4x6 DD to see if anything changes.

magic
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I like it all but I really like the chauffeur's pin!

tanacat
04-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Wow you had a GREAT day- congrats! I love the lock and the 1928 chauffer's pin -very nice relics AND coins!