PDA

View Full Version : Beach hunt, 1850 Mill site hunt, and 1822 crop field hunt gets us some keepers

Thiltzy
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
My hunting buddy and I hadn't been out in a couple weeks together so we decided to run a marathon hunt today.

We started the morning at 5:30 am for a negative low tide beach hunt. We got our typical water finds with some old wheat penny's, musket balls, lead sinkers and a silver ring. Then surprisingly, we found a double gilt flat button that is probably 1800's circa, but most surprising of all was John's find of what seems to be the remains of either a pre- federal colonial Rosa Copper or Hibernia. We were very shocked to find a coin this old in the salt water. Maybe del or some one else could verify the ID on this one?
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4]

Once the tide started coming in we headed off and fueled our stomachs up with breakfast at the diner. After a short discussion at breakfast, we then decided to head to an area that we learned had some old sawmill foundations and cellar holes from the mid 1800's.
Targets here were far and few between with our typical square nails and buckles.
However, we did manage to score one very special find. This find wasn't the oldest or arest finds but, it was very special because my buddy John finally scored his very 1st American Large cent dated 1833 .... thank god! ... I was getting sick and tired of listening to him moan and groan underneath his breath after every Large cent I would find when we were out hunting together. Whew!!! :cheering:
[attachimg=5][attachimg=6][attachimg=7]

Finally we moved on to a soccer field that used to be an old crop field in 1822. Tons of clad was being pulled up everywhere. We were initially concentraing on pull tab signals in hopes of finding gold rings and then John got a nice silver coin signal about 6 inches down. It turned up as an 1902 barber quarter. My hunting buddy really kicked my butt today with his coin finds. Gratz!
[attachimg=8][attachimg=9][attachimg=10]

jkress
09-02-2012, 01:55 AM
<: <: <:
Awesome keepers for the marathon hunt Thiltzy. :clapping: Love those coppers. :smitten:

Merc
09-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Great job guys :congrats:

aloldstuff
09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
A great variety of keepers today. I guess that would be so seeing that your sites were a wide variety also. I like to start early in the morning also, sometimes stopping for a nice breakfast. Again :congrats: on your hunt today.

buck57
09-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Congrats to the both of you Thiltzy. |:cheering:. Some awesome finds there, :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-02-2012, 11:28 PM
lol at the moaning & groaning everytime ya dug a large copper :hysterical: glad he finally got one! I felt like that when Dan took me on my very 1st cellar hole hunt <}
great stuff guys!

CTX Tom
09-03-2012, 07:24 AM
looks like a great day!nice finds,looks like you got a little bit of everything!

del
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
nice hunt |:cheering: |:cheering: , the copper looks like a 1722-24 Wood's Hibernia