PDA

View Full Version : Two Eagle buttons and a 63 Injun

chief5709
09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Saturday 9/1 – Well I got out of my comfort zone and tried to find a cellar hole out in the woods. I got a lead on an old homestead out on the logging roads a couple of years ago. I looked it up and found the house on an 1860’s Beer’s map, however the house was not on a 1900 topo map. The 1940’s topo map showed a bunch of logging roads all around that area. So I did some map overlaying and plotted the coordinates on my iPhone GPS app. It was about a mile off the main road and there were hiking trails open to the public that would take me most of the way there. I made it to the area I plotted in about 30 minutes and of course there was no evidence of any homestead. I unpacked my E-Trac and started to search the area for any signs. I found a stream and started to follow that, after about another 30 minutes I started to hit some random iron signals, prior to that I had dug 4 shotgun shells. I stopped and looked around still no obvious sign of anything. As I continued the iron sounds started get more frequent and then I found a small depression in the ground. I thought to myself that this may have been an outbuilding, shed, etc. it was way too small to be a house. I soon found an 1863 Injun, with awesome detail, only about 3” deep. The iron signals were heavy around the depression so it definitely was a building at one time. I wandered around the area for awhile, dug a nice two piece Eagle button with a Waterbury b/m. Later I dug another two piece Eagle button this one was cuff size with a Scoville b/m. My last good find was a piece of a lantern. I will definitely hit this again in the fall with the smaller coil and cooler temps. I was wearing long pants and l/s shirt for tick protection and it got hot and buggy out there.

Merc
09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Keep at it Chief. Take those buttons and lantern top as a good sign that there's more there. :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Yup! I think ya found it! great research and Knowing what your doing sure paid off! look forward to what else pops out there! congrats!

OxShoeDrew
09-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Wow, two hours of hiking and hunting too :crying02: that's not crying, that's sweat. Good job on the research |:cheering:

buck57
09-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Great hunting chief. :congrats: there has to be more there. The hard parts done, now go get it. thumbsup01.

aloldstuff
09-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Way, Way to far in the woods for this guy. Kudos on your research. :congrats: on that IH and please keep us updated when you get back there in the fall.

chief5709
09-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys! I doubt I will wait much longer to head back out there. Fortunately it didn't take me the full hour to make it back out and now that I have everthing plotted on my gps I should be able to hike back out there in less than 30 minutes. Definately bringing the small coil with me and setting up a grid.

del
09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
hey Brian , congrats on the eagle buttons and indian thumbsup01

milco
09-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Great finds, congrats!

Thiltzy
09-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Great job on the research and gratz on some really nice finds, especially the Fatty nickle Injun :congrats: