PDA

View Full Version : Best Big Coil for E-track ??

Spike
09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I found the small coil that I really like but have not found if there is any big coil that is better than the stock coil that would be good for getting noticebly better depth. Any suggestions?

randy
09-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I like the Detech 13. I can't claim that it gets any more depth (especially in highly mineralized ground), but I will claim, in my limited use, that it is just as good in the trash as the stock coil, and it of course gives better ground coverage, allowing you to work a site more efficiently.

chief5709
09-03-2012, 07:24 AM
I've got the 15 coiltek WOT coil. I haven't used it enough to give an honest opinion if it is any beter than the pro coil. My brother in law uses the WOT 99.9% of the time and swears by it!

Spike
09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys thumbsup01 Its hard to believe that only two responses to a E-trac coil question :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: Been noticing this lately on this site :dontknow: I guess bigger is not always better :( :(

chief5709
09-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I don't know if its habbit or what but the ProCoil is always my first choice.

Spike
09-04-2012, 10:52 AM
[quote=chief5709 link=topic=11189.msg122211#msg122211 date=1346759851]
I don't know if its habbit or what but the ProCoil is always my first choice.
Same here tried a sunray 12in not impressed at all :blackeye: But a sunray 5in :shocked03: unless I am hunting a big area thats my coil its deep and picks through trash unbelievable :perfect10:

earthmansurfer
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I found the small coil that I really like but have not found if there is any big coil that is better than the stock coil that would be good for getting noticebly better depth. Any suggestions?

What is your ground like? My ground is somewhat mineralized and I got about 1 or so more depth from the 13 Detech and 10 X 12. I also tested the huge (13X17 or something like that) SEF coil but it was too heavy, didn't seem to go any deeper.

If you have moderate to higher mineralization, you might get worst depth with a larger coil and might want to stick with the stock coil. Also, with moderate to higher mineralization, you might actually get better depth with a smaller coil, like the 6X8 SEF.

Albert

Spike
09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks alot for the input |:cheering: Is the detech more stable than stock and better ID ?? I think you are right about bigger coil might not be what I need cause I know Sunray makes a good coil and the 12in sunray was not near as deep as stock in the one field I hunt have to do more testing . In your opinion detch better than stok in most places??

randy
09-06-2012, 11:50 AM
In my experience, the Detech 13 is slightly less stable than the stock coil (I find myself occasionally lowering the sens), but if response is set to long, I have little trouble myself hearing coin-sized targets among the chatter, even at 30.

I usually just put the 13 on, crank to 26+, and do fine with it, but do put up with the noise. I'm hunting mostly hunted out parks and fields, and think the Detech 13 is a good choice for those sorts of sites.

And, as far as iron falsing, I think I've dug less iron that with the stock coil. Could be cause its been quite dry around here until recently, and could be site specific, as I tend to stay at the same site day after day rather than move around.

Unfortunately, since I only have one shaft, and changing coils is a hassle, I've been unable to do side by side tests against the stock coil, and that is really what you have to do at your sites to have a good answer, IMHO anyway.