PDA

View Full Version : 1700's house hunt = = Shoulder Belt Plate

aloldstuff
09-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I went out today with the intention on getting my 50th silver. I decided to go out of town to a house that Rob and I had hit before. This house is from the 1700's and the homeowners have it up for sale. I DID NOT get my 50th silver but I got 4 more wheats and something very interesting. It is brass, measures roughly 2 3/4 x 1 3/4.
When I first got it out of the hole I was looking at the back and the shape of it and said NO way a military buckle. I turned it over and saw some script writing. I cleaned off the back and saw the 3 hooks (should be 4, 1 is missing). As I was looking at it trying to figure out what it was I thought not a brooch. It doesn't look like any horse rosette I've seen,so I am at a loss.

It's a cool looking item and if anybody has any idea please chime in.

Thanks for reading

chief5709
09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Cool find, not sure what it is but looks like a buckle of some sort

OxShoeDrew
09-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Do you know what it says?

aloldstuff
09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Do you know what it says?

Drew, for abut 1/2 hour I looked at this under a magnifying glass and I can't make out what it says :dontknow:

del
09-03-2012, 03:31 PM
hey Al , can you give us a picture of it next to half dollar or similar for a size reference , and you might get a better deatail if your light source is casting across the face . your letters will have more shadow , the name could be very important.

Dan

aloldstuff
09-03-2012, 03:38 PM
hey Al , can you give us a picture of it next to half dollar or similar for a size reference , and you might get a better deatail if your light source is casting across the face . your letters will have more shadow , the name could be very important.

Dan

Will do......tried the lighting trick and no help at all. Tried to do a pencil rubbing and that also didn't work.

del
09-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Al , thats an early shoulder belt plate 1790- 1810 . its either to militia or regular military and probably an officer's . their pretty rare and if you could get the person's name off it , it could make it even more valueable. it is a great find :loveit: :loveit: :smitten:

aloldstuff
09-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Al , thats an early shoulder belt plate 1790- 1810 . its either to militia or regular military and probably an officer's . their pretty rare and if you could get the person's name off it , it could make it even more valueable. it is a great find :loveit: :loveit: :smitten:

Dan, I am in shock. First the hat plate and now this. I am not a relic hunter but I will definately take these items.

Once again thank you for the ID

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
wow what a find! :omg: that's freakin awesome dude!

buck57
09-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Super find there Al. :congrats:

milco
09-03-2012, 06:15 PM
That is an awesome find! I would think if you study the script and compare with military rosters/records you may be able to make a match. You could also review census records for the location where it was found and see if you could make a match that way, assuming the person that lived there owned it. I am pretty good at reading old script (I transcribe a lot of old documents), but it's tough to make it out in the pictures.

aloldstuff
09-03-2012, 06:33 PM
That is an awesome find! I would think if you study the script and compare with military rosters/records you may be able to make a match. You could also review census records for the location where it was found and see if you could make a match that way, assuming the person that lived there owned it. I am pretty good at reading old script (I transcribe a lot of old documents), but it's tough to make it out in the pictures.

I can't make out the script in person so trying from a picture would seem impossible, but thanks for trying. I have looked up the historical society in the town that I found this in and they are open Saturdays so I will go there and see if they have any records.

del
09-03-2012, 07:52 PM

sometimes inverting the colors can show some detail , maybe this will help Milco . then again maybe it won't :dontknow:

Sal66
09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
|:cheering: Definitely unusual buckle. I just think there's not enough there to make out the Name which is what I think it is. It must be the person's name. I also think there's not enough proof that it's Military either. I found a Buckle a long time ago and it had no markings at all. I think if it was Military, it would have a stamp on it somewhere with maybe a US . :interesting:
Either way, really nice hunt. CONGRAT'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aloldstuff
09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I am going to meet with the towns historical society this Sat and they will help me get an identifcation. I brought it to work and I know believe that the first name is John and the last name starts with an H

RobW
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
PSSTTT>........If you can remember the property address, you may be able to search the registry of deeds back to the time period for a name...I may know a real estate attorney familiar with the area that can help... lol

I swear, I leave you alone and you make some great finds....Congrats :clapping:

del
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I swear, I leave you alone and you make some great finds....Congrats :clapping:

its official Al ....

your to leave Rob at home from now on lol rofl :hysterical:

aloldstuff
09-04-2012, 05:31 PM
its official Al ....

your to leave Rob at home from now on lol rofl :hysterical:

You and I are starting to think very much alike rofl

Thiltzy
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
:wow: Unbelievable find there! Now that would be something special if you can connect a name to it. good luck...let us know what you make of it. :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
09-04-2012, 08:05 PM
What an incredible find, Al! WOW! It just looks really old! I love the script, even though it is tough to read. To me it almost looks like two initials and then the last name, perhaps J.H. Haurt____ or something like that.

Congrats on the terrific piece of history! :congrats:

RobW
09-05-2012, 09:37 AM
crying01 :crying02: :girlcry:

You and I are starting to think very much alike rofl

aloldstuff
09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
crying01 :crying02: :girlcry:

Oh Rob, stop your crying...we'll still hunt together. :grouphug:

OxShoeDrew
09-05-2012, 03:33 PM
RelichunterAl, maybe some tracing paper and a pencil would give you another look at it?

aloldstuff
09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
RelichunterAl, maybe some tracing paper and a pencil would give you another look at it?

Drew, I hve no right to be called relichunter. I definately do not go out to relic hunt, I m just lucky enough to have some nice items get under my coil. I tried the pencil rubbing and sad to say no help. I am taking the item into work tomorrow and will have a high resolution scan done, Milco asked for that so that he can zoom in on the writing, We'll see what happens.

jkress
09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
:perfect10:
What a beautiful piece of history you added to your collection. :smitten: The plate is an amazing find.

A big congratulations to you Al... it's a beauty.

BobE
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Great find!
I would check with the present owner of the house to see if they have a list of previous owner especially the period from 1790's to 1870 and if they do then try to match up the names to the script.
If not, you could do your own title search.
If the house is located in an area that was maped in the 1860's with the homeowner names listed maybe that owners name will match your script.

RobW
09-24-2012, 01:23 PM
S when are you going to post the new pics you had made by the appraiser:huh: :dontknow: