PDA

View Full Version : button id help

hockeyguy
09-03-2012, 07:10 PM
What say u experts?

del
09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
hey Aaron , usually the backs of buttons will tell more about them than the fronts . whats the back of yours look like , are there any maker's mark or quality marks.??

Dan

aloldstuff
09-06-2012, 04:57 AM
I say that you forgot to mention the silver, IH and wheats. Dels right about the back of the button.

hockeyguy
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
The back is spent Del...been soaking for a few days now. Found it in an old schoolyard, so it may be from a nice jacket for all i know. The sailboats had me thinkin tho. Thanks for the help

tanacat
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
lol That really helped didn't it? I have so many buttons that have rusted backs like that, am disappointed not to be able to ID them. I'm curious to hear from the button experts about it (typical time period of buttons that rust like that & is it possible to clean them to recognition). I have a bunch soaking in oil also...

Have you cleaned the front anymore? It seems that more detail will be exposed.

Congrats on the rosie and IH |:cheering:

del
09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
surprising rusted back buttons can go back pretty far , they were known as tinback buttons although they weren't very common. the more common steel backed buttons strted apearing in the very late 1890's and were the norm by the very early 1900's . Aaron your button's design i don't recognize and i would suspect it being off a sports blazer or jacket from the 1920's to 50's. sorry i couln't be more help.

Dan

hockeyguy
09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Not much help? Thats awesome info Dan. I appreciate that very much. HH
Soon i am detecting an old home for a group i work with. It was a stage coach stop back in the day. While i wont be keeping anything, the chance ti unearth it is good enough (with pics).