PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend - Hunt w/DaddyDigger - Seated, Walker, More...

Tony Two-Cent
09-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Well, I ended up metal detecting all four days over the Labor Day weekend: Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I think I need an intervention. :lol:

On Friday I went for a short hunt after work. I hunted at the site of an old high school that was recently demolished, as well as a park that I have had good luck at before. I ended up finding two Indian Head Cents, a Buffalo Nickel and a 1944 Mercury Dime. Here are the Indian Head Cents I found on Friday:

On Saturday my family and I went to Fairview Heights, Illinois where we were planning on staying for the weekend. My daughter was in a pageant there on Sunday. I had called DaddyDigger (Dave) to let him know that I was going to be in the area, and we agreed to get together for some metal detecting. Dave was gracious enough to pick me up at the hotel and drive me around all weekend.

The first place we hunted at on Saturday was an old park. It was a very interesting site but we didn't have much luck there. I only found one wheat cent and some clad. So, we drove a ways to a spot where Dave knew an old school had once stood. The site is privately owned now and has a residence on it, but the owner was very nice and encouraged us to hunt all we wanted. I hadn't hunted for more than five minutes when I found a 1944-S Walking Liberty Half! It was literally the second signal I dug at the site. Dave called me a few choice names when I showed it to him. lol The remnants of hurricane Isaac were passing through the area, so we had to hunt in between rain showers. Fortunately we only got one hard rain all day and it only lasted about ten minutes.

Here is the 1944-S Walking Liberty Half that I found at the old school site:

Oddly enough, neither of us could find much else at the old school site, so we stepped across the parking lot to an old grange hall. The owner of the old school site told us that it would be perfectly fine to hunt there as well. We had better luck at this site, Dave found a Merc right away, then a Barber Dime a few minutes later. I ended up finding two Mercs and a Rosie at the grange site, along with a wheatie and a token. By then we were done hunting for the day, and Dave took me to a good pizza joint.

Here is the token I found at the grange hall. Too bad it's so corroded. Good for a 5 cent drink at an establishment in Belleville, IL:

On Sunday Dave picked me up at the hotel early in the morning and we drove to East St. Louis to hunt at a couple of parks. Now, I must admit that I wasn't entirely comfortable hunting in this area, Dave must be more brave than I am. :cheesysmile: Definitely not an area that I would ever hunt alone. I ended up with a few wheat cents and a couple of buffalo nickels. We had lunch at a really good barbecue place then called it a day. Dave is a good sport and a great detectorist and we had a lot of fun. I sure do appreciate him hauling me around all weekend!

On Monday (today) we checked out of our hotel and got home at about 11:00 a.m. Still plenty of time to go detecting! So, I headed to the old town square that I have been having so much good luck at. Would you believe that I found another Seated Liberty Dime there today? This is my third one from this site. Today's was an 1890 and it is in pretty nice shape. I also found a buffalo nickel and two Rosies to put me at 98 silvers for the year. Six Seated Liberty Dimes so far this year, I am pinching myself.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my E-Trac? :smitten:

Here are my keepers from all fours days, before cleaning:

The 1890 Seated Liberty Dime that I found today at the old town square:

Buffalo Nickels - two dateless, 1926 and 1936

Mercs that I found on Friday and Saturday: 1917, 1934-D and 1944

All of the silvers from the four-day weekend:

I found this today, it is about the size of a quarter. Anyone know what it is? Some kind of buckle?

All-in-all it was a great weekend. Dave is always good company, I wish we could get together more often.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

aloldstuff
09-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Tony, sounds like you and Dave had a great time. You managed to get yourself some very nice keepers. And another Seated. Going detecting 4 days in a row does not call for an intervention. Your quite normal.... :grouphug:

Full Metal Digger
09-04-2012, 08:19 AM
It was a pleasure to MD with you again Tony! Your finds, as usual, are awesome. I'm glad you managed to get a few keepers while you were here. Otherwise you might think I took you to all the crappy sites and kept the good ones to myself! Were the two dated buffs the ones you found with me? Looking forward to the next time, best wishes and HH, Dave.

Tony Two-Cent
09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Were the two dated buffs the ones you found with me?

The two buffs I found with you were one undated and the 1926, both from the same park in ESL.

Thanks for showing me a good time, buddy!

JTGOLD
09-04-2012, 09:51 AM
very nice lot of silver coins,like the 1890,other nice finds too,job well done tony.

dave in iowa
09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
great finds .the seated looks great ,,, hope you have many more hunts like that
|:cheering:

mike l
09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Now thats what I call a good weekend! The detail on the Seated is awesome. Still looking for my first. Great team hunt :beerbuddy:

Fire Fighter 43
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Great hunt Tony, that seated is a beauty, WTG |:cheering:

milco
09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow Tony! What a fantastic weekend of hunting and some great finds! The case looks like a match or razor case perhaps, but not sure?

POKIE73
09-05-2012, 04:41 PM
your gonna have a hard time doing any better than that great job on all the finds you really did have a silver dayful gotta love that e trac its a great machine congrats dennis

catskillcomics
09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
OMG Tony... you are certainly on a roll!!!! :drool: great Job!! hoping to have be back out on the playing field next year... I really miss detecting

Tony Two-Cent
09-05-2012, 07:14 PM
OMG Tony... you are certainly on a roll!!!! :drool: great Job!! hoping to have be back out on the playing field next year... I really miss detecting

Hi Scott! Good to see you here! Thanks for the kind words. You were really doing well with your detecting. I hope to see you back at it!

Ill Digger
09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Man Tony! That sounds like a blast! thumbsup01
You had a great couple of days worth of swinging! :clapping:
Big silver, old silver, couple of IH's, a small heard of Buffs... and a token! :peace: Sweet! :cool: I love those old trade tokens :smitten:
Nice haul buddy! thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:
:thinkingabout: As for the .... thing :confused: I don't know what it is :dontknow: lol
What does the inside of it look like? In the second picture of it, it looks like you could put two fingers in it :dontknow:

jkress
09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Way to go Tony!! <:

Awesome bunch of keepers from the weekend. Not sure you could ask for a better mixed bag. :smitten:

Congratulations on the pile of silver, nickels and IH's. :clapping: