PDA

View Full Version : First Indian penny spill and my first trifecta!

Snapolson
09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I got out yesterday to a spot I tried last week with one of my hunting buddies and although the silver is still eluding me, I had a great hunt nonetheless!

I went off the main trails into the wooded areas and one of my first targets was a 1927 Wheat penny! Good start. Continuing through the brush I hit a nice solid signal in the 75-77 range on the T2. Out comes a penny but as soon as I saw the wreath on back I knew it was an Indian!! :happydance01: Nice! I covered the hole and checked again. Still another strong signal...open it back up and I see another penny. Could it be?? Yes, another Indian! :happy: An Indian penny spill...my first.

About twenty feet away I hit a super solid 92 and it shows that it's shallow, only two inches. Hhmm. I'm thinking bottle cap of course, but imagine my surprise when I see this big disk pop out of the dirt! Then I'm thinking, wow I got a clad Kennedy half, but then I see the stars ringing the coin and I realize I found a large cent!! :wow: This makes it my first true penny trifecta! I sort of fudged the last one with an Indian, a wheat, and a memorial, but that wasn't a true trifecta.

So, even though I'm in a silver drought for over a month, this hunt really pumped me up! This is only the third US large cent I've found since I started detecting. As far as a date, it's kind of toasted, but my best guess is 1847. I can kind of make out a four. The other finds include a 1946 Jeff, two 1941 wheats, a silver looking piece of jewelry (I have no idea what it is), a compact cover, a cool old local soda bottle and a Stutz automobile watch fob. Not sure if it's a new one or from the time they made the car. :thinkingabout:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting all! :groovy:

aloldstuff
09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Who needs silver when you are digging what you are. Some nice hunting there and congrats on the IH spill. Getting a LC that shallow, go back and really search that area....do I smell seated:huh::huh:thinkingabout:

:congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Congrats on the awesome trifecta! :wow:

I love the Stutz watch fob too! That is a cool find! thumbsup01

mike l
09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Wow what a great hunt. It's always a bonus to find those old bottles :yes:. Looking forward to what you find there next |:cheering:

PL8MAN
09-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Very nice ! thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Very nice hunt, congrats on the cent trifecta, WTG |:cheering: