PDA

View Full Version : coin holders

hockeyguy
09-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Does anyone use cardoard holders to protect LC's ? If so, what size is best for coppers? Small dollar ?

chief5709
09-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I use the cardboard holders. I think its the half dollar size, not sure though

aloldstuff
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Yup, the 1/2 dollar size works great.

Sal66
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey everyone. I use cardboard holders only if I have to but not Coppers that are in Fine or better condition. I have some Coppers that I founds over 6 years ago that looked good when I found them but have not faired well with the Cardboard holders. I don't feel the plastic is protective enough. Some of my Coppers have lost as much as a grade or so. I guess if you apply a protectant then they might be ok, but I spend the extra money on the PCGS Style on my good Coppers anyway. There's a site called JP's Corner that sells them and trust me they are worth it. They even have a Thumb slot in case you have to re-open it again. I also bought a product called Tag Wizard. It's a labeling kit and works great with the holders. Check it out, especially if you have a really nice coin. http://www.jpscorner.com/Coin_Holders.htm

They sell for around $1.75, but that's a small price to pay if you have a Coin worth more than say $20. That goes for any Copper coin as well.

By the way, if anyone uses a Protectant on their Coppers that work well then let me know what you recommend. There is a Product called Reni Wax that's supposed to be excellant for waxing coins, but I wouldn't if I were to have a Coin graded though.
Only use protectants on Coins that are going to stay RAW and in your own collection. The reason I mentioned it is because they use it in Museums in the UK on ancient Coins and it's supposed to be the best. Check it out at Amazon.com

Look for the one that say Slab Holders on the link above.

tanacat
09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks Sal- I checked it out |:cheering: I'd also like to know about protectant for LC's. I've been soaking mine is olive oil off and on for a couple years. Copper corrosion keeps showing up on one of them and I feel like the process is 'on hold' when soaked in oil?

Also bronze disease happening on the edges of my 1864L IH :shocked01: Will wax halt these?

Sal66
09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Tanacat, I went over to Amazon.com again and looked at that Renaissiance Wax that the Royal Museums use in the UK and it does say that it halts further corrosion and rusting. Alot of their items are Relics like Swords and other items but it does say it will work on Copper. Look at the area that says reviews by people who have used the product. I would think if it's good enough for a Museum then that's proof enough for me to try it on some of my Coppers that have lost some detail. As you wax the coin, it also will remove some of the extra oxidation and clean it slightly.
Remembr though, don't ever use any cleaning product or wax on a coin you plan on having authenticated or graded. That's if you can find one that grades regular &quot:grin:UG coins. Do anyone know of a grading company that grades dug coins ?
*** Notice : I only mentioned Copper coins. I don't believe in cleaning Silver or Gold coins unless it's been done Professionally like the Shipwreck Coins .