PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati / Hamilton area?

imagearhead
09-08-2012, 10:15 AM
My name is Josh. I am a newbie to the hobby with just under one year under my belt. I have a Hamilton County (Cincy) permit. I mostly hit two local parks. I'm pretty good with my equipment. BHtracker4 & good gear. The only research I have so far is all on Sharon Woods Park. My only finds worth mentioning are a 44 Merc & a 35 Indian nickle. And a few wheats. Anybody near by that wants to have some company or join me at Sharon woods @ one of my secret spots... Just Lmk. And No... I haven't found a nice low tone (gold) find yet.

imagearhead
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I guess I'm all alone in this crazy city. Haha.

Bell-Two
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Josh I just sent you a message about the Dayton Diggers, we do have members from around your area come to the meeting and maybe you can hook up with one of them.

PezHunter
08-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I know this is an old thread but just saw it. I am going to get my permit this weekend for this park. I live towards Dayton but work in West Chester so my half days and days off I will be going up there. Would be nice to hook up with another detector since I am still fairly new.

Pez :detecting:

imagearhead
08-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Well it was an old thread.... But hey, We LOVE old stuff around here, right. I detect in Hamilton County / Cincinnati city limits. I have yet to go up north for some dirt fishing.

PezHunter
08-31-2013, 08:26 PM
I went up and got my permit from Sharonwoods today. I am off Tuesday so I plan on getting there then if not before.

imagearhead
08-31-2013, 08:34 PM
You'll love that park. It has been detected for many years but, there is still plenty of stuff to be found there. If I can, I'll try to stop over but Tuesday is both my kid first day of school. From what I've seen, I'm the only one rocking a bright yellow Ace 250.

PezHunter
08-31-2013, 08:43 PM
the Ranger lady said detect anytime, I said are you sure it says on the permit no weekends through October. I ask if that was enforced and she said no hunt anytime. Hope to run into you there as a newer person to the hobby I would like to make sure im doing things right so it doesn't look bad on others.

imagearhead
08-31-2013, 09:45 PM
The only thing that makes it look bad on others is NOT FILLING IN THE HOLES... That's about all the park rangers care about. If since found many silver coins out of Sharon Woods. Including a 1778 Spanish 2 reale. It was an epic find for me. I've seen video of a 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar being plucked from the park also. It's on YouTube under metal detecting Sharon woods park. I've still never met that person who found it.

PezHunter
09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
The only thing that makes it look bad on others is NOT FILLING IN THE HOLES... That's about all the park rangers care about. If since found many silver coins out of Sharon Woods. Including a 1778 Spanish 2 reale. It was an epic find for me. I've seen video of a 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar being plucked from the park also. It's on YouTube under metal detecting Sharon woods park. I've still never met that person who found it.

Those are some great finds. Right now that seems far from where I'm at right now. My finds include a 60's Derringer Cap gun and 1 wheaty. I spent all day today at a school and came away with a few dollars, a bunch of cans and a ton of nails among other random things. I will be there at least until noon tomorrow and if I can change my Dr. appointment I will be there longer. Hope to meet you at the woods sometime.

Thanks

imagearhead
09-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Like I said tomorrow is my kids first day of preschool. They start at 12:30. So I'm gonna try to be out there early. 7-ish..

PezHunter
09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Awesome I am giving blood as soon as they open and then headed up there, should help[fully be there between 7:30 - 8:00.

imagearhead
09-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Sorry buddy... Got there at 7:20am. I stayed up until 9:40am. Couldn't stay any longer. Maybe next time... HH in the mean time. Later Pez.

PezHunter
09-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Must have missed you. I got here at 8:00. Still tryinging to find a good place to hunt. Only found tabs, cans a quarter and a penny. Not really sure where I can and can't go yet. Sorry I missed you we will catch each other here soon.

imagearhead
09-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I found 9 stinken Lincolns, 1 clad dime, 1 clad quarter, a 1953 wheat cent and a ton of trash...

imagearhead
09-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Cincinnati has plenty of old parks to detect. Try Ault park, Eden Park, or French Park. All are older than 1933.

PezHunter
10-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Do these all need a permit like Sharon Woods? cant remember. Like Sharon woods but don't know good spots, I have been concentrating on one area. thanks for the info.

:detecting:

imagearhead
10-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes. A county permit is gotten from game wardens. A city permit is gotten from city park commission. It's near Eden park in downtown Cincinnati.