PDA

View Full Version : Two more Large Coppers at Old Farm...

Thiltzy
09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
My hunting partner and I started our morning at what used to be an old orchard field but is now a private residence. We didn't know what to expect here so of course we had a back up plan in case this area wasn't producing.

Unfortunately, we didn't get many targets here and could only manage two flat buttons and some old dinner ware that included the top half of a fork and bottom handle of another fork or spoon.[attachimg=1]

Plan B was to hunt an old Farm.
Luckily, I had secured permission to hunt the farm back in July and now that the owners hayed one of the fields we felt that it was a good time to start concentrating here until the end of the Fall season. This farm has been in their family since the 1600's but the current farm house was built in 1810. It is not the orginal farm house but we do have an idea of where the original once stood.[attachimg=2]

The hunt here started very slow with my friend John finding an old Thimble and then I recovered a buckle. Good sign that we were in the right area. I then heard John calling me over and I knew immediately that he got a good keeper. Now mind you...John just found his 1st American Large Cent when we hunted last week so I had a hunch he just found his second. It turned up in the hole as an 1806 Draped Bust...nice!
I had been in a dry slump on Large Cent finds over the last few weeks so I was getting a little frustrated. I had a feeling that John was ready to leave after a long day of hunting and the threat of some major thunder storms moving in but I could tell that he knew I was determined to stay until I found an old coin.
A few minutes later I got a iffy coin signal. The target sounded great from one angle but on another angle the signal was very mixed. After digging about 4 I pinpointed a good size piece of iron. After cursing to my self I started to fill in my hole but I thought to myself that the target sounded to good to just be a piece of iron. I reswept the hole and I was now getting that smooth coin signal from all angles and sure enough, two more inches down there was my coin.... my fourth Draped Bust of the season! She was pretty toasty but... I didn't care, it was just nice to know that I was out of my slump. Happy hunting!
[attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5][attachimg=6][attachimg=7][attachimg=8][attachimg=9][attachimg=10]

aloldstuff
09-09-2012, 05:12 AM
I would love to find a draped bust in any condition. :congrats: on your keepers and for breaking out of the slump. Also for having a plan &quot:beerbuddy:.

Tony Two-Cent
09-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Great post with terrific photos! And oh yeah, great finds too! thumbsup01

A draped bust large cent would be a find of a lifetime for me here in Illinois, but you guys out east find them with regularity. I am so jealous! US coins over 200 years old!

:wow:

PL8MAN
09-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Great finds thumbsup01

jab1
09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Great hunt Todd! For once, we both recover the goods. Can't wait to get back over there.

milco
09-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Great finds and great pic's! Like Tony said a 200 yr old US coin in our parts would be awesome!

Thiltzy
09-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Great post with terrific photos! And oh yeah, great finds too! thumbsup01

A draped bust large cent would be a find of a lifetime for me here in Illinois, but you guys out east find them with regularity. I am so jealous! US coins over 200 years old!

:wow:

Thanks Tony. Yes, if you do get on the right locations, then old coppers can be found regularly :yes:

Great hunt Todd! For once, we both recover the goods. Can't wait to get back over there.

This weekend we will get back there. Can't wait till the plow the other two fields :daydream:

Great finds and great pic's! Like Tony said a 200 yr old US coin in our parts would be awesome!

As long as I am able to hunt, then I will always reside here in th North East as it is one of the best areas to recover our country's history. Some of you westies need to take some vacation time out here to hunt ;)

starman2
09-11-2012, 08:31 PM
:congrats: On the LC'S! Very Nice! Still looking for my first. Looks like a fantastic place to hunt! Good Luck! HH!

jkress
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Awesome post Thiltzy!! Very enjoyable. :clapping:

I dig about one LC a year.... so seeing two from one hunt is dreamy for me. :daydream:
Congratulations on some early ones.