PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone NEWBIE from Texas

Bandit
09-08-2012, 10:51 PM
I am looking for my first metal detector, the only place I can start is an old dam that is drying up. I went up there a few times to do some fishing and allready found two gold rings, and figured that may be there are more. The dry parts of the Dam are mostly rocks and desertlike around. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with some tips on what kind of metal detector I could start with. I have seen in some sites the Garret ace 350, and the price fits my budget but dont know if it is the right one for the terrain. I have heard that you can detect better on even ground, so I dont know if the ace 350 will be able to detect over rocks and be able to detect gold pieces.

del
09-09-2012, 12:58 AM
hello Bandit , welcome to the forum ;) .
if the rocks are large and are very mineralized in your area it could be a problem with most detectors but if the rocks are pretty tame you could be ok with the detector you mentioned. i know that doesn't really help your dilema to much :dontknow:.

Dan

Lowjiber
09-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Welcome from southern Nevada.

Detecting old dams is tough for any machine/detectorist. There is usually a ton of junk (metal)...everything from fishing lures to beer cans.

A few years ago, I hunted an earthen dam south of San Jose while the lake water was lowered for repairs to the dam. I found a small outboard motor. :rolleyes:

cactusrat
09-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Bandit, I noticed in another post you said that you’re from South Texas. What part of South Texas?

I live on the west side of Lake Corpus Christi.

Welcome to the forum.

aloldstuff
09-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the forum from western MA. From what I've been reading here you sure did pick a hard spot to detect. Hope you can get the answer to your question about which detector is best. Looking forward to your finds.

Fire Fighter 43
09-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. I do to know much about the Ace 350 but I'm sure it would be a good detector for searching dried up lake bed or getting between large rocks. You might want to look at getting a smaller coil than the stock coil for hunting the rocks. GL and HH (Happy Hunting)

Bandit
09-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. I do to know much about the Ace 350 but I'm sure it would be a good detector for searching dried up lake bed or getting between large rocks. You might want to look at getting a smaller coil than the stock coil for hunting the rocks. GL and HH (Happy Hunting)
Thanks for the info FF43, I'm feeling pretty strong about purchasing the ace 350, and that drying dam is about the only interesting place to hunt around here. Hope to show my first find soon.

Bandit
09-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey Bandit, I noticed in another post you said that you’re from South Texas. What part of South Texas?

I live on the west side of Lake Corpus Christi.

Welcome to the forum.

Hey cactusrat, im from Eagle pass. really exited to start this hobby, looking for my first detector and hopefully start hunting soon, I was thinking to start on lake amistad. Found a gold ring while fishing, and that is what really got me started on this.
Thanks and hope to show my first find soon.

Bandit
09-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and good wishes. Hope to start soon and show my finds.
Good luck

OxShoeDrew
09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi Bandit, I ran the ace 350...it was a nice machine. It was a little front heavy for me, but got the job done. Welcome to the forum.

Bandit
09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi Bandit, I ran the ace 350...it was a nice machine. It was a little front heavy for me, but got the job done. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks oxshoeDrew, I appreciate your info, I've been doing some reaserch on the 350 and think its a good start for me.
Hope to start soon, and come back with my finds.

jkress
09-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Welcome aboard from Iowa Bandit. :clapping:
I used an Ace 250 for a year and was very happy with what the machine let me dig up. Lots of silver coins and relics.

Ask any questions you have. There are lots of great and helpful people here.

Bandit
09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome aboard from Iowa Bandit. :clapping:
I used an Ace 250 for a year and was very happy with what the machine let me dig up. Lots of silver coins and relics.

Ask any questions you have. There are lots of great and helpful people here.

I appreciate your comments jkress. cant wait for my first detector and find.
see ya soon