PDA

View Full Version : Got my 100th silver, plus a nice SLQ and some Indians

Tony Two-Cent
09-09-2012, 07:11 PM
I spent both yesterday and today driving around to some new towns trying to find a new hot spot to detect. Yesterday I headed northeast, today I went southeast. I tried many different parks in several different towns. I don't know if I found any hot spots, but I did end up with a few keepers.

Yesterday (Saturday) I found a 1946 Washington Quarter along a sidewalk strip in front of the community building at the first town I went to. The quarter was my 99th silver for the year. Not much else except a bunch of clad and two identical thimbles that were about 5 feet apart.

At the second town I went to, I found a 1935 Mercury Dime along a sidewalk strip by the little league ball field for my 100th silver of the year. First time I've ever accomplished that. Didn't find much else there except a few wheat cents.

At the third town I went to, there was a town square park right in the middle of town. I didn't find any silver coins there, but this park did give up five Indian Head Cents. I love finding Indian Heads, so that was a lot of fun. I also found a sterling silver pilots wings in this park.

Today I headed to a small town park that I had hunted briefly once before when I first got my E-Trac. I didn't find much of anything on that first hunt, but I wanted to see if I would do any better now that I am more experienced with the E-Trac. Well, today's hunt wasn't going any better at this park, I hadn't found a single old coin after more than an hour. So I decided to think outside the box and try to find a spot where maybe nobody had hunted much. I went to the back side of the park right along the edge of the alley. After only 5 minutes along this strip I got a perfect 11-47 signal at about 6" deep. It sounded so much like a silver quarter that I got my video camera out just in case. I got the coin coming out of the hole on video, and it was a beautiful 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter. By far the nicest SLQ I have found. (And oldest.) The only other keeper I found at this park was a 1925 Buffalo Nickel.

On the way home I stopped briefly at an old park that I had hunted twice before, and this time I found a 1900 Barber Dime that I had missed the other times.

Another really fun weekend of detecting, and the weather was absolutely perfect!

Here are all of the coins from this weekend's hunts:

And here are the keepers:

All five of these Indian Heads came from the same park on Saturday:

Sterling silver pilots wings came from the same park as the Indian Heads:

I found two identical thimbles about 5 feet apart yesterday. Not sure if 1892 is the date?

World's smallest brass padlock? I thought it was neat. Found in a park, sounded just like an Indian Head.

Here is the SLQ that I found at a park this morning. I was elated to find an early one that still has a legible date, 1917 Variety II:

Barber Dime that I found at the last place I hunted today:

And some of the other miscellaneous relics that I found over the weekend. (Including a beautiful blue and white marble!):

As always, thanks for looking and happy hunting!

BHNugget
09-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Congrats on a great hunt and hitting your 100th mark!!! :congrats: Is the religious pendant silver also? Looks like it in the pic

Tony Two-Cent
09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Congrats on a great hunt and hitting your 100th mark!!! :congrats: Is the religious pendant silver also? Looks like it in the pic

Thanks!

The religious pendant is aluminum.

Shipwreck
09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey WtG Tony superb hunt WtG :perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
09-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Congratulations Tony! That SLQ is a real beauty too. Those WWII Army Air Corps wings are super nice. The paisley pattern on the back is very unique and one that I have not seen. The standard issue wings had a plain back so perhaps these are foreign-made or from the secondary market. A neat mystery to research that's for sure. As for me, I did yard work all weekend :crying02:. Hopefully my e-trac will come back from the factory this week and I can get out MDing next weekend! Keep your fingers crossed. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

POKIE73
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
congrats on all of your finds its hard to pick a favorite from that group the standing lib is a great find but i also like the wings great hunting dennis

aloldstuff
09-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Sure is a nice collection of keepers you got. The wing pin and the worlds smallest lock are really cool. Huge :congrats: on hitting that 100th silver :happy:.

CTDirtFisher
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey Tony... Congratulations a the 100 milestone... :perfect10:

milco
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Congrats on #100 Tony! Super finds all around the board, what a great weekend of hunting, and yes the weather is getting much better for MDing! I have a friend who is a lock collector, I'll show him the lock and see what he has to say about it.

Ill Digger
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't know where to start Tony! :wow: What a weekend! :cheering:
you put on some miles. But it looks to me like it was well worth it! |:cheering:
Congrats! :grin:
Big Congrats on hitting the hundred mark!! |:cheering:

PL8MAN
09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Sweet bunch of finds |:cheering:
Glen

z118
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Those are some insane finds. The SLQ is a thing of beauty and the silver pin is just amazing. Congrats on 100 silvers too! I've yet to reach that milestone in any given year and barring the discovery of some amazing cache I won't this year either.

RaZR
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
That's a bag full of keepers!! :yes:
:congrats: on hitting 100 silvers too. :perfect10:
I gotta find some new spots too. No silver in quite awhile. :crying02:

milco
09-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Tony, here is what my friend said that collects locks:

These are referred to as dog collar padlocks. They are from the turn of the century (1900). There is also one just like this but says Rover.

Tony Two-Cent
09-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Tony, here is what my friend said that collects locks:

These are referred to as dog collar padlocks. They are from the turn of the century (1900). There is also one just like this but says Rover.

Thanks for the information, Darren! I didn't know it was that old. Much appreciated!

jkress
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Tony... <: <: <:

Your hunts are always an exciting one to click. :-> So many interesting items for you pocket here.
My favorite is definitely the beautiful SLQ. :smitten: It's a good one for sure. :daydream:

Congratulations on #100 (a fantastic accomplishment) and more importantly the banner year you are having.

Snapolson
09-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Those are some great keepers for sure. Love the silver wings!

Tony Two-Cent
09-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Here is a short video of highlights from recent hunts:

WLH, SLQ, Seated Dime Metal Detecting with Minelab E-Trac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJokaud3xe0#ws)

starman2
09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
:wow:! Great video. And even greater finds! That was one lucky spot! WTG!! HH!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-15-2012, 06:32 PM
spectacular video and some great lookin silver! nice job! |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
:congrats: On #100 and a fantastic hunt, WTG |:cheering:

NAS
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Nie hunt, congrats with your #100 silver, looks great, like all your coins! :congrats: