PDA

View Full Version : New to detecting from Mississippi

Mississippiblues
09-11-2012, 04:56 PM
I am new tio all this. I am from the Mississippi Delta and am looking for anybody out there that might have some words of wisdon. Where to start looking...ect :grin:

jkress
09-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Hi Mississippiblues, welcome to the forum. :clapping:

I'm from Iowa and am looking forward to what you might dig up down there. :->

There are lots of great posts here at American Detectorist. Just start looking around.
Even better... we have a group here that are more than happy to share words of wisdom.

Look around and ask any questions you might have. thumbsup01

aloldstuff
09-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Welcome from western MA. What type of detector are you using and what do you like to hunt for? Got questions, ask away.

Lowjiber
09-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Welcome from southern Nevada.

When you get your detector, a good way to learn it is a sand volleyball court. You can plant targets and get a chance to learn the machine.

Pinpointing is easy, but it takes a little practice. Again, the volleyball court makes it easier.

Most carry a hand-held pinpointer too. They help a lot when retrieving a target in a hole and shallow targets just under the grass. If you have one in mind, ask on the forum. You'll get plenty of advice.

Learn to go slowly. This is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Tony Two-Cent
09-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the forum! :beerbuddy:

A good place to start hunting is in the yards of family or friends who live in older houses.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

OxShoeDrew
09-13-2012, 06:07 PM
The Mississippi delta is shining like a national guitar Welcome!!

stanatorium
09-15-2012, 05:09 AM
i mostly use the excalibur in a shallow low tide ocean here in jersey

first october hunt 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsCFx35tVA&list=UUFswB5aleKoRw2A9YZbmeBw& index=1&feature=plcp#ws)

Fire Fighter 43
09-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. Any place that people have gathered as a group will have the possibility for cons and relics. The liabrary or local historical society is a good place to start your research. good luck.

judgem
09-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Welcome fron NJ!
A good pointer will make your life soooooo much easier. I use a Garrett Pro Pointer and the thing is near indestructable. Pointers really help in a normal find, but I really rely on mine for those places that a big coil can't get into or get a good angle on. I have pulled coins, buttons, bullets and an old flintlock pistol barrel from under trees with my pointer.

del
09-16-2012, 09:41 AM
hello Mississippiblues and welcome to the forum , i hope to see some great finds from you soon .

Dan

CODY
09-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Welcome from another Mississippian. Welcome to the forum. We are pretty much on oppisite side of ther state. I am on the east side, Will be lookin forward to you post and finds

Mudder
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi Mississippiblues

I am located in the southeastern part of the state, but probably a little closer than Cody. I'm no expert, but I'm always willing to help in anyway I can. Talk to the people here, they have a ton of experience, and no matter what you run into they will have an answer. Good luck on your hunting. thumbsup01

DirtyMoney
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Welcome, Mississippiblues, from the Great Lakes State of Michigan.

There is a wealth of information to be had here. All you need to do is ask good questions.

Good luck and happy hunting