PDA

View Full Version : Weird

bob_e99
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
I haven't posted in a long time as my luck has been in the toilet for about five months to a point where I almost stopped detecting altogether. Being with my son on vacation has ignited the spark a bit but not to a point where I'll drive too far. So, in any case, I decided to be outdoors on this very beautiful day and figured that I would be happy with just some clad. I went to a not very old area that has been detected many more times than most in this area and that would be quite a lot. The very last thing that I was expecting would be an old copper (and I mean the very last thing) but here it is and it's in bad shape so I'm having problems identifying it. I believe it might be a King George but not sure so if anyone can provide some help, it would be very much appreciated. The coin is 28mm wide.

Thanks.

z118
09-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Neat! I keep telling you that you never know what you might find at any spot. I can't help with ID but I have no doubt some one here will have the answer! Congrats!

del
09-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Bob i don't think your copper is Georgian as the bust is just a bit off to me ... to me it looks closer to a King William but its in your hand and i suspect you could see better detail that i. i'll post a William coin and you tell me if its closer .

Dan

Sal66
09-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Dan, I guess we think alike sometime. That's the first thing I noticed was the bust looked too much to the left and might be older. Could be late 1600's .Did you do anything to it or is that how it came out of the hole ?

bob_e99
09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Bob i don't think your copper is Georgian as the bust is just a bit off to me ... to me it looks closer to a King William but its in your hand and i suspect you could see better detail that i. i'll post a William coin and you tell me if its closer .

Dan

Dan,

Yes, that looks very much like it. It's way smaller than the William IV that I found earlier this year which threw me off. Thank you for always helping me out with these things.

Dan, I guess we think alike sometime. That's the first thing I noticed was the bust looked too much to the left and might be older. Could be late 1600's .Did you do anything to it or is that how it came out of the hole ?

When I found the coin, it was totally encrusted. I initially thought it would be something like a Chucky Cheese token so I probably wasn't as careful with it as I should have been. I also scrub it with a soft toothbrush. Now that I know what it is, I'm kicking myself for not being more careful. I am just amazed that this was in that location.

Thanks guys for the input.

Bob

bob_e99
09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Here is an etching which may help. I'm not sure if there are characters over the head.

Thanks.

Actually, now that I look at it, I don't think it matches your picture. The nose looks rounder.

Should I try to clean this up a bit more? I probably already screwed it up with what I did.

starman2
09-12-2012, 06:58 PM
:congrats: on finding the old coin! That just shows you. To find anything.You have to get out there. Detecting gives me a relaxing feeling. Just to forget about everything else for even just a little while. And concentrate just on what I'm doing. Though It is agrevating sometimes, when you're just digging junk. Hang in there! :grouphug:

Sal66
09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Bob, you might be right. Looking at that plus the neck is wider and the shoulders different as well. The pic Dan posted shows the nose being a thin hooked nose . The only thing I see that matches might be the slant of the forehead maybe. The etching is a good idea, I've yet to try that method. Even with a coin in this grade, the method is something I could use with my worn Fugio. I think the only real way to know is work on the date side and see what you can do with it. Either way, it's a good find and definitly a :interesting: moment.

del
09-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Bob after looking at the rubbing i'm more convinced its a William III and probably a pre 1700 variety . the right side of the coin has the letters that look like a match

bob_e99
09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Bob after looking at the rubbing i'm more convinced its a William III and probably a pre 1700 variety . the right side of the coin has the letters that look like a match

Dan,

I was looking up some pictures of coins and I have to agree with this assessment. If I can just ask one more question, do you think I should try and clean it? Not agressively but using some less abrassive techniques. Or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks again.

Bob

del
09-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Bob ,
to me it looks pretty rough and i'm not sure you'll get more detail out of that one . it definately has seen better days some 310 years ago

Dan

aloldstuff
09-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Nobody know whats gonna pop out of the ground. Excellent find :perfect10:. I still am waiting for any pre 1700 coin to get under my coil.