PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Day Hunting with FireFighter43 & Milco

Ill Digger
09-14-2012, 08:23 PM
It's been a hectic week and I'm a little behind in my posting again. 8/
Jeff (FireFighter43) told me that him and Darren(Milco) were planning a hunt for Tuesday 9/11. So I took a vacation day and made the two hour migration up north to Wisconsin to hunt with the guys at Jeff's coveted honey hole picnic grounds. thumbsup01 Things started of with a bang... or should I say a WOO HOO with Jeff digging , not one, but two seated dimes back to back! :shocked04: :clapping:
Again, way to go, and congrats on findin' those fine ladies Jeff! thumbsup01
As for me? Things started out a little slower. lol I found a few wheaties along the way.
Eventually I pulled this nice silver and turquoise (?) snake ring! :cool:
[attachimg=1]
I don't see a .925 or sterling stamp on it. But it looks like it has some initials or a makers mark inside of it. ::huh::
[attachimg=2]
So I desided to hunt around that tree /area for a while. A short while later I got a deep 12-37/38. When I dug down out popped a IH! Sweet! So I rechecked the hole and out pops another IH! :peace: By that time I called Darren over as I was pulling the second IH out I told him There's gonna be something else in here too. It came in too high for IH's. There's either a wheatie or a piece of silver in here. Sure enough the Pro Pointer said keep digging! lol Sure enough there was a wheatie in with them. :yes: Then Jeff and Darren had to leave . Jeff told me I could stay and hunt if I liked. :thinkingabout: With there still a few hours to kill to wait out the Milwaukee 5 o'clock traffic jam I said Sure! Thanks! |:confused:)
So I headed to my favorite little sliver of the grove to see if anymore goodies were laying in wait. This is a area where on one of my previous invites I found a nice deep pocket spill. So I decided to look for the deeper targets. Anything repeatable and above 27Co. Near the creek I got a nice deep 15-37 bouncing around 32, 36, 38. Down about 7 inches I first pulled out a 1908 V nickle. I know a nickle didn't give off a Co. of 37 so I rechecked the hole and out pops a 1909 plain wheatie! I figured that would be it. I rechecked my dirt pile and as I was swirling the PP around it started to beep and I seen the edge of a silver dime in the dirt! <: Turned out to be a 1905 Barber dime! :happydance01:
[attachimg=3]
After back-filling the hole I rechecked the hole and about 6 or 7 inches away I got a solid 12-45 at the same depth! :drool:
Dug down to find their friend .
A 1911d Barber dime! :peace:
[attachimg=4]
I sent Jeff a quick text and showed him the pics. With the possability of the dreaded SDHOS wiped out lol I started to head to my truck. Along the way I got two more silvers! In one hole I got a 1903 Barber dime with a wheatie. And a shallow 1945s Mercury dime! thumbsup01
Not includind the $4.64 in clad and all the junk here's the days take.
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
[attachimg=7]

Thanks for lookin' & HH everyone! :grin:

Once again. Thank you Jeff! |:confused:)
And Darren It was nice to finally get a chance meet and hunt with you! thumbsup01 It's only been 3? Or 4 years now we've been trying to hook up? :dontknow: lol

Tony Two-Cent
09-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Great post and terrific finds, Tim! <:

Man, it must be fun finding coins in bunches like that! Love the Barber Dimes! :smitten:

Nice Indian Heads too, and a bonus Merc. Very cool silver ring also! Glad to see you back in the swing of things.

Congrats on the awesome hunt! :clapping:

jkress
09-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Great bunch of keepers Tim. :clapping: Sounds like a fun day hunting with Jeff and Darren. :happydance01:

I wonder if the ring was made from an existing piece of sterling? :thinkingabout: Kind of appears this way.

Congrats.

aloldstuff
09-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Excellent bunch of keepers and it seems that they came in bunches. Love the Barbers and IH's. :perfect10: The V and merc are nice also. :congrats: And you got yourself some sterling thumbsup01. Well worth the 2 hour drive.

milco
09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow Tim, you certainly went out on the day with a bang! Congrats on the late day silvers and other finds! Yeah, great to meet you as well, hopefully it will work out to hunt again yet this fall.

Fire Fighter 43
09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Tim, you dog! I did not know that you pulled 4 silvers after we left and 3 barbers |:cheering:. I guess you really did not want to make that SDHOS. Congrats on the nice hunt and it is always a pleasure to hunt with you. Let's start the plan for our next.

starman2
09-15-2012, 02:08 PM
:perfect10:! That sure made the 2 hour drive worth it! A great hunting day! :congrats: on all the silver!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Way to go Tim! some great lookin coinage and a gorgeous hallmarked ring! |:cheering:

Ill Digger
09-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Great post and terrific finds, Tim! <:

Man, it must be fun finding coins in bunches like that!

.... Glad to see you back in the swing of things.
Thanks Tony! |:confused:)
It was alot of fun finding those old coin spills! :yes: Believe me, I found quite a few old screw cap spills too. 8/ lol
And it was a breath of fresh air! :daydream: In more ways than one my friend! lol

Great bunch of keepers Tim. :clapping: Sounds like a fun day hunting with Jeff and Darren. :happydance01:

I wonder if the ring was made from an existing piece of sterling? :thinkingabout: Kind of appears this way.

Congrats.
Thanks Joe!
:yes: It was a fun day hangin' out with the boys from up north! :cool:
As for he ring? :dontknow: I wasn't thinking that at all. What do you see that makes you think that? :->
I got lucky with this one. While I was cleaning the dirt off of it trying to find a stamp of some sort, the stone came out in my fingers! :shocked04:
I'm glad I didn't drop that dinky thing! 8/ lol

Excellent bunch of keepers and it seems that they came in bunches....
....Well worth the 2 hour drive.
Thanks Al!
Some of the good finds did come in bunches :yes:
I'll drive two hours for a hunt like that anytime! :yes: lol

Wow Tim, you certainly went out on the day with a bang! Congrats on the late day silvers and other finds! Yeah, great to meet you as well, hopefully it will work out to hunt again yet this fall.
lol Yeah you could say that! Thats what I was kind of targeting. This is a area Jeff has gridded in two directions. So I was digging the deeper screw cap / zincer type signals and got lucky with that one pocket spill. And dug some junk too. lol
I'd like to hook up for another hunt this fall sometime too. I've got a small park in-between us in mind that might hold some goodies. Maybe you could check it out on your old aerial maps ;)

Tim, you dog!
:embarrassed: I know, I know. :blush: I wish you guys were there. I didn't have anyone to share the excitement with :-\

Congrats on the nice hunt and it is always a pleasure to hunt with you. Let's start the plan for our next.
Thanks again! |:confused:) And, yes let's :yes: thumbsup01

:perfect10:! That sure made the 2 hour drive worth it! A great hunting day! :congrats: on all the silver!
Yes it did!! :happydance01: And I even got payed for it! thumbsup01 lol
Thanks starman2 :grin:

Way to go Tim! some great lookin coinage and a gorgeous hallmarked ring! |:cheering:
Thanks Dave! |:confused:) I was a little stumped on the stamps in the ring. Specially till I got to my loupe and got a good look at it.
I've been trying to find out who the silversmith was. It would be nice to put a time frame to it. :dontknow: :confused:
I found a JNM English silversmith's stamp from the late 1800's here. http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXJNNN.html But his JNM are in a shield. So I don't think this is the same silversmith. :rolleyes:

BHNugget
09-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Wow!! A great Barber rescue mission! :congrats: The snake ring is very unique, I cant say Ive ever seen a ring like that before. |:cheering:

del
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM
hey Tim congrats on getting together with Jeff and Darren it sounded like a great time , congrats on getting the late silver saves :cheering: :cheering: :clapping: :clapping:

Dan

JTGOLD
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
very nice bunch of keepers,great job.

CODY
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
:wow: :wow: and double :wow: Nice finds. Congrats.