PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Farm 2nd Hunt with 6 Coppers (wide variety)

Thiltzy
09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
On our first hunt last week at the Colonial Farm, John and I managed to score two Draped Bust Large Cents during our three hour hunt. Eager to get back, we started the morning filling our bellies at our usual diner spot before a full days hunt.

The one week wait was well worth it as we really killed it today by digging up six Coppers <:
[attachimg=1]

John was the first to score with another Draped Bust making that our 3rd one found in this field.
[attachimg=2]

We felt that we must have found the exact area that the original house once stood because, finds seemed to be jumping out of the ground at us. Relics, buttons and coins were all being found and with the exception of an 1897 Indian head, the coins we found were getting older.

We really need some ID help on these finds hopefully you folks can help. One coin in particular reall has us stumped as you can see in this pic, it is much smaller than the large coppers.[attachimg=3]
We really had a blast today hope you enjoy the pics.[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=8][attachimg=9][attachimg=10][attachimg=11][attachimg=12][attachimg=5][attachimg=6][attachimg=7]

aloldstuff
09-15-2012, 09:32 PM
How can one not have a great time digging what you guys were diggin. :wow: 6 coppers, IH,buckles, buttons and other cool relics. Great hunting and I hope that you will be going back. I am sure that someone (Del) should be able to ID that smaller copper. Thanks for posting this hunt.

Thiltzy
09-15-2012, 09:41 PM
How can one not have a great time digging what you guys were diggin. :wow: 6 coppers, IH,buckles, buttons and other cool relics. Great hunting and I hope that you will be going back. I am sure that someone (Del) should be able to ID that smaller copper. Thanks for posting this hunt.

I am not even sure on most of the coppers. I think some are state coppers or maybe King george II :dontknow:

Alodstuff...You bet we will be back there. We have only hit half of one field and we still have 3 other fields to go. The other 3 fields are larger.
I secured permission on the farm back in July. The owners are the nicest, salt of the earth people you will ever meet and they are allowing me to hunt it anytime I want. :->

Ill Digger
09-15-2012, 11:41 PM
:wow: Man! What a hunt you guys had!! |:cheering:
With all those nice finds to be found I bet it was hard to leave! lol
Nice finds!
Congrats! :grin:
I wonder if the other copper is a half penny? :thinkingabout: It looks a little smaller circumference wise, and a little thinner. :dontknow:
We'll have to see what out resident copper experts have to say about that one.... :->

leslie(nova scotia)
09-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Outstanding dig and finds. Not many spots left that give up that many oldies. <;)

del
09-16-2012, 10:28 AM
wow very nice place to hunt , look at all the George II's ( young head types 1729-39) and the smaller one is a farthing. great job :perfect10:

Thiltzy
09-16-2012, 12:12 PM
wow very nice place to hunt , look at all the George II's ( young head types 1729-39) and the smaller one is a farthing. great job :perfect10:

Thanks alot Dan. thumbsup01
So would that make the young heads Half Cents?

Also Any idea on the Gilt button?

del
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks alot Dan. thumbsup01
So would that make the young heads Half Cents?

Also Any idea on the Gilt button?

yeah the larger ones are half pennies and the farthing would be a quarter penny , the gilt button with wreath are older type and probably around the late 1790's to about 1815 or so