PDA

View Full Version : An old fort on a frigid day

Snowy
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Some friends and us (Krom and I) met up at an old fort on Sunday.
The wind was whipping off the ocean and across the top ledge where we started.
It was cloudy and far from the warm temps we have been experiencing here in Maine, so the wind bit to the bone.

We were all over that place Sunday and OMG..... I can't wait to go back....
the old military buttons, old tokens, coppers and other stuff that came out of there ~ even old silver coins! :shocked04:
We all knew this place hasn't been touched (some may have detected there in the past, but not enough to amount to a smidgen!)

I managed ok.... we took Lil Miss Penny with us and I was elected to hook her leash to my belt in the back
so she could tool around without running off to say hi to all the other dogs in sight.
Her leash and my headphone cords, even my detector, got tangled a few times but she had a blast!

I did ok.... got some junk, some clad, some arrow type thing and this ring....
It's marked on the inside with MEX on one side of the stones and .925 on the other side of the stones.
We're not sure what the stones are, but it was one of the best rings found that day. sorry... the lighting for this pic sucked.

Sorry... no pics of the site.... and don't ask. lol But it's beautiful.
And yes, detecting IS allowed! :grin: (unless they decide some day to prohibit it there)

coinnut
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
That sounds like a great place. You did good considering you had a leash attached lol That ring is real nice. Can't tell from the pictures but I would guess three types of gems. Tourmaline comes in greens and purples and rainbow colors, Opal comes in many fire combinations or some types of shells (Abalone). I would go with the Abolone, because of the .925 setting. A great ring and I hope you get to go back when it gets warmer. Nothing like digging when your bones are freezing :ticked:

angellionel
03-30-2010, 08:53 PM
That must have been one very fun hunt for all, and it sounds like some great finds were made. Many hearts were racing full speed ahead, I'm sure. lol That is a nice ring too. :) Thanks for sharing, Donna. :yes:

Epi-hunter
03-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Donna! :) Sounds like a great day, and that is a beautiful ring! Congrats!!

Snowy
03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
The amazing part is that no one detects that area because they are afraid.... they think it's off limits, but we got the go-ahead from the town office.

I simply can't wait to go back. I SOOOO wish this place was only a couple/few minutes down the road.
I told Krom I wanted to get a hotel room near there and spend an entire weekend (well, 2 days, be it a weekend or not) detecting there.

Coinnut, we think you're right about the stone being Abalone, but can't be sure.
Here's another pic that might help you tell....

Snowy
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Epi, it was a great day, but I was soooo cold after lunch I just couldn't take it. The guys lasted less than an hour after lunch themselves.
It's a fantastic site, definitely a treasure trove, and I think it would take years to cover it all.
I only wish I had found ONE military button and ONE silver coin.
I might have had I not had Penny attached to my belt and been better able to withstand the cold that day.
I'll be back there... TRUST me.

Epi-hunter
03-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I thought abalone were snails? :confused: :-\

Whatever it is, it's a really nice ring. Yes, you definitely need to hit that site again!

Epi-hunter
03-30-2010, 09:33 PM
I thought abalone were snails? :confused: :-\

Never mind, before anyone points out my stupidity, I am assuming that abalone stone comes from the shells :cheesysmile: lol

And yes, I quoted myself lol

Snowy
03-30-2010, 09:34 PM
We will. The place is huge. Abalone is snail shells... I guess that's what they make opal from? Maybe coinnut can better explain.
I suppose the only real way to tell is to take it to a jeweler. I will when I get that way again some day.

leslie(nova scotia)
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....sounds like a great place to hunt. Would be nice to see some old photos of the spot. Stay warm!

coinnut
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
We will. The place is huge. Abalone is snail shells... I guess that's what they make opal from? Maybe coinnut can better explain.
I suppose the only real way to tell is to take it to a jeweler. I will when I get that way again some day.

Here's a link to Wikipedia for each of them. The snail shell is huge lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal

Here is one other link we have in our library listed under Del's post in the relic section

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/citrine.html

SeabeeRon
03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
That is a nice looking ring Donna!! :drool:
And just an FYI...out here on the west coast Abalone are good eats and getting pretty expensive! 8)

Snowy
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks! Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. Offered it to our daughter but it's a little too big for her pinkie finger and won't fit on a ring finger, so it's in the glass display case for now. I'm sure my mom would want it, but she wants everything. lol I think I'll leave it in the display case for now. Maybe take it to a jeweler some day and see if there's anytihng they can do to clean it up. Looks like a stone might be broken as well.

John M
04-03-2010, 03:40 AM
That is a very nice looking ring Donna.You may not have gotten over any of the relics but you probably got the find worth the most $$$.

CBnKansas
04-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Snowy that is awesome. I hunt in hopes of finding one of those spots, but not yet. Finding it this time of year should allow you lots of days to hunt it this year.

Your title made me say I didn't hunt with Snowy, then I saw you said old fort not old fart. It stinks getting old.

cb

Snowy
04-04-2010, 06:45 PM
rofl ... too funny.
That spot is about 90 minutes away from our house. Wish it were closer, but we may take a weekend and get a hotel room just to get away and do some hunting there. We'll see.