PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Varities of Coins

Sal66
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone. As you know, one of the biggest sections in this forum is the What is It section. People are always asking questions about Relics and Coins. Many of the questions have to do with identifying some of the Colonial Coins that are found. In my opinion, alot of people ask about alot of the more common coins as well that have multiple Varieties. As an owner of a 1864 small motto 2 cent coin that I dug several years ago, I've had and seen alot of people confused about how to tell the difference. In my research, I've come to find out that there are at least 6 -11 differences.
I have found a great website for those looking for an easy way to see the difference, ESPECIALLY when the 2 Major differences are not visible. This can be common especially since the coins we find are &quot:grin:UG.
Here's a great website in case you run into a situation where the 2 major differences aren't visible do to the condition of the coin. some may say if the coin is that bad then it can't be worth much at all. The fact is a small motto even in G-4 is valued at $175.
Here is the Website :
http://www.numissociety.com/content.php?156-The-1864-Two-Cent-Piece-Large-vs.-Small-Motto