PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for tot lot bark?

dave1000
09-17-2012, 02:57 PM
My 9 year old son just bought an ACE 250 and we've been detecting at the local tot lots in the parks. I'm quite impressed with the depth on this machine as we've been finding coins at 5 or 6 inches deep. The problem is that while the bark is easy to dig, it tends to fall back into the hole when digging deep. You can widen the hole but that also creates a huge pile of bark to sift through. Maybe we just need more practice, but if you have any tips please post. Thx.

Lowjiber
09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Do you have a good, hand-held pinpointer yet?

A good pinpointer can run through a handfull of bark in a heartbeat.

CyberSage
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Get a small towel, and spread it on the ground next to your hole. As you dig in the bark put everything on the towel. A handheld pinpointer as Lowjiber pointed out is very handy. One of our sponsors is sure to give you a great deal on one. Most importantly... enjoy yourself, and have fun. ;)

dave1000
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks Guys. I found a hand-held pin pointer at Harbor Freight for $15 and it works quite well. Don't know how long it will last but in our case it's not going to see any harsh environmental use. We used it last night and it makes a huge difference. I will also try using the towel. Thanks for the tips.