PDA

View Full Version : 2 rosie's but no pic

hockeyguy
11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Well for the last month or 2 I have been hunting primarily in AM,(on the minelab SE) ferrous sounds and using manual sens with deep on going very slow. This was a good way to learn the machine better for me. I improved my finds substantially with this technique but a few things bugged me about it.

Iron will sound good sometimes, crown caps and screw on bottle tops too. So I would occasionally use just a bit of discrim....maybe 31 or 30 so I don't have to hear everything.

I have been hesitant about adding more discrim as I want max depth however, I was reading an excerpt from Andy's book, Mastering the Explorer and E trac. Very interesting that a fellow user states he has seen no reduction in depth at IM 22 and he mentions that if he goes any higher, iron sounds too good. He uses conductive sounds so I was not sure if this would be accurate in ferrous but I decided to give it a try. I almost always listen to experience. Oh, I also went to auto sens and had no issue. Actually I did not have to adjust it once, unlike when I use manual.

Today I went to a field where they play ball...not too old, but I have been there before and found some deep wheat's but no silver. Today was different in that with this new setting structure, I made a lot more progress and covered much more ground than usual. That being said, I wanted to dig what I thought were nickels 'cause I really want to find some gold. About 1/2 the nickel digs were aluminum, the other 1/2 nickels.

I got a few deeper dime signals which both turned out to be rosies! A 49 and a 53 both with the &quot:grin: mint mark. Boy was I happy as I haven't found a silver in about 10 days. I never would have found these today with my previous settings cause I was moving at a snails pace, but not anymore.

I will continue to use this setting in hopes of doing just that; more coverage and fewer iron tones to distinguish from. Hope I am not missing too much and when my new coil arrives I hope to find the goodies on edge that are passed up by others.

Wed. I am headed to a well hunted park with Scott, aka Catskill Comics, that is very old and has given up many coins to another friend of mine. We'll see what happens.

One more thing, I dug a number of off readings just too see if they were gold. One in particular came up shallow at 8-11. It turned out to be a large Mexican coin that says $500 on it. Anyone know what this is worth? Is it more than a quarter? I really expected aluminum or gold, not a coin....must be made out of some sort of junk metal.

I cannot get my program, Paint, to correctly format scanned images so I apologize for the lask of imaging.

HH

Aaron

OkieDigger
11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Great finds! With the E-Trac I always hunt in conductive.

angellionel
11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Very nice, and good post. when I was using Epi-hunter's SE I hunted in Conductive mode and loved it. I was hitting on some very deep dimes, and had a very nice silver and IH spill at about 9 to 10 inches. Once you get the hang of it, the SE is a great machine, no doubt.

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Great finds and very nice post! I too preferred ferrous sounds when using the SE. It doesn't make sense to do so with the E-trac though.

MNDigger
11-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Congrats on the silver! Good write up.

SeabeeRon
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
WTG Aaron, nice finds and post! thumbsup01