PDA

View Full Version : Last weekend's field finds

chief5709
09-19-2012, 06:22 AM
September 15 – My brother in law Shane was home for the weekend and so we went to a field that we had not detected before. The field is about 3 miles north of the Saratoga battlefield and sits on a high spot overlooking the Hudson River. Shane had secured permission for us the night before and when we arrived in the morning met with the owner’s and they gave us the history of the property. Various items had been found over the years of farming including cannon balls! The property is about 90 acres and was way too much for us to cover in one day so we went around the perimeter of the big field looking for a hot spot. Right off the bat we found several 22 bullets, we found out later that their son’s had unleashed about 800 rounds target practicing. After a while we found a few musket balls on the back side of the field. Later I found a small shield plate thing and a toasty LC. We’ve got a lot more property to cover and can’t wait to get back out there.

aloldstuff
09-19-2012, 07:01 AM
The shield item seems to have a design on it and at the bottom looks like III. Very cool item, hope its military. The LC sure is toasted. :congrats: on all the finds and hope you can get back there soon.

OxShoeDrew
09-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I bet that site will keep you busy for a while. Maybe a pencil tracing can get a date off that LC. :dontknow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-20-2012, 04:34 PM
cool saddle shield! And congrats on the large cent,gotta feeling your gonna do well there in future hunts!