PDA

View Full Version : Small Plate / Shield?

chief5709
09-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Found this on Saturday 9/15. My best guess is a escutcheon plate off of a musket?

aloldstuff
09-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Could you post a picture with maybe a dime next to it for a size reference?

Sal66
09-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Chief, what makes you think that ? Do you or have you found any Pics with this Relic connected to a Gun ? It looks more like a Badge to me. Maybe i'm wrong since I don't know that much about Guns.
I found something about that size and it was the same exact design, the whole relic design not what was on the face and mine turned out to be a Hat Badge from a Conductor's hat. The railroad wasn't that far from where I found it. Is it heavy ? Maybe it attached to the side of a building or something if not a Hat Badge. Just my opinion.
I'm sure if you get a trace, that will help some.
|:cheering: Nice find anyways. Hopefully someone will figure it out.

del
09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
hey Brian these have been up for debate from time to time but the general consensus (myself included) seem to conclude its a horse mount or boss of somekind , a precurser to the horse rosette . with its design (the Welsh royal plumes and crown) it wouls have to be assumed its British and colonial in age . i have a few of them myself and all recovered from pre- 1800 sites and one even has the same motif as yours , i'll try to find a picture of it .

Dan

chief5709
09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Chief, what makes you think that ? Do you or have you found any Pics with this Relic connected to a Gun ? It looks more like a Badge to me. Maybe i'm wrong since I don't know that much about Guns.
I found something about that size and it was the same exact design, the whole relic design not what was on the face and mine turned out to be a Hat Badge from a Conductor's hat. The railroad wasn't that far from where I found it. Is it heavy ? Maybe it attached to the side of a building or something if not a Hat Badge. Just my opinion.
I'm sure if you get a trace, that will help some.
|:cheering: Nice find anyways. Hopefully someone will figure it out.

Hey Sal,
The only reason I thought it was from a musket is that my dad had found an escutcheon plate off of a brown bess that had been positively id'd as such. It just reminded me of that. Unfortunately I have no idea what the back of his looked like and I don't have access to it. Like I said it just reminded me of that piece and was just a total guess on my part.
Brian

chief5709
09-19-2012, 02:56 PM
hey Brian these have been up for debate from time to time but the general consensus (myself included) seem to conclude its a horse mount or boss of somekind , a precurser to the horse rosette . with its design (the Welsh royal plumes and crown) it wouls have to be assumed its British and colonial in age . i have a few of them myself and all recovered from pre- 1800 sites and one even has the same motif as yours , i'll try to find a picture of it .

Dan

Thanks Dan! It looks like a couple of guys on Bob's forum have also found identical pieces and also assumed to be a rosette or something similiar to such. Thanks for the additional information, I can use it for additional research.

Brian