PDA

View Full Version : Two firsts for me:California gold half dollar and a Bust half dime

skribnodsister
09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
I haven't posted for a while-our father passed away the day before his 81st birthday-my mom and dad would of been married 59 years in july-it's been really hard on everyone especialy my mom. So we spend alot of time in Galena keeping her company. I decided to bring my detector with me when I go down there on the weekends. My Grandma had a junk pile of some sorts-this is where I found all the jewelry and glass marbles and a few wheats and one rosie. I actually had my mother out there a couple of times sitting in a chair digging-just wish she would of found something (wanted to slip something in the hole she was digging, but she's still pretty sharp for an 83 year old (I know she would of caught me) anyhow another spot I got the 23 clay marbles and a few glass ones and another spot I got the spoon (1492-1893 world's fair city) also the round ball-maybe a cannon ball:huh: Also the 1871 California gold half dollar! Holy cats tried not to get too excited cause I wasn't sure if it was real or not but jr ran it over his machine and said it was pure gold! It's kinda ironic, my mom was going in to take a nap and told me to go find some gold- wow don't know how I found it-its so small and their was so much foil all over the place. I had a vacation day tuesday-hit the field where I found my seated half dime and holy smokes got an older one this time 1831 Bust half dime. Hope the pictures turn out it was really hard getting them with the coins being so small. Thanks for looking and Happy hunting. Donna

jkress
09-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Congratulations Donna!! :peace: Some nice hunting here. The half dime and California gold are incredible keepers. :clapping:

Sorry to hear about your Dad. My condolences to you, jr and families. :)

Ill Digger
09-19-2012, 09:58 PM
:omg: Wow! Where to start!?! :dontknow: So many great finds!
I love all the marbles and the spoon is a great collectors item :yes:
I see you found yourself a E award pin... that's cool! :cool: (I found one a couple of years ago too thumbsup01)
But the real star of the show have got to be the sweet little Capped bust half dime....aaaand of course A GOLD COIN!! :shocked04: <:
Congrats on those bad boys! |:cheering:

mike l
09-19-2012, 10:19 PM
GOLD COIN! :wow:. This is what I would look like: :happy:

Ill Digger
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
This is what I would look like: :happy:
<} Me too!
Then I'd probably look like this... :stretcher: lol

aloldstuff
09-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Super huge :congrats: on that gold coin and the bust 1/2 dime. The marbles look really cool and the spoon is also a great find. Anybody who digs up a gold coin would be the same as you....is it real. Glad yours is. |:cheering:

NAS
09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
That cannon ball..? looks very interesting, but the golden is the best find I think! :wow:

Tony Two-Cent
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Glad to see a post from you, Donna! Amazing finds! WOW! :omg:

That junk pile sounds like heaven to me! Holy cow, look at all of those cool old marbles! And that awesome old spoon!

And your metal detecting finds, wow, I don't know where to start! The Bust Half Dime and the California Gold Half Dollar are both mind-blowing finds!

Are you talking about Galena, Illinois? If so, it is a beautiful town full of history. I enjoy visiting there.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My condolences to you, Don and the rest of your family.

Thiltzy
09-20-2012, 08:28 PM
:wow: :omg: Amzing digs you got there Capped dime and a gold coin :shocked04:

CONGRATZ!!!

milco
09-20-2012, 09:39 PM
:wow: Absolutely stunning and amazing finds! Big congrats on those! My condolences to you and your family on your father's passing.

JTGOLD
09-21-2012, 10:43 AM
awsome finds and I love the marbles,GJ.

CODY
09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad Donna. You finds, :omg: :wow: :omg: :wow: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:!!!!!!!!
Awsome. Love them ALL! Silver coin, Gold coin, Can't get much better. Love the marbles. A fantastic Hunt. :congrats:

RaZR
09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
My condolences on the loss of your dad.

And my congratulations on finding some really great coins and artifacts.
Gold coins are pretty rare and to find one and a capped coin, well the odds are staggering.
And i have to agree the marbels are awsome too.
:congrats: :yes: thumbsup01 <:

skribnodsister
09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the condolences-it's been a tough one! Also Thank you for all the congrats on my finds-I've only found a 4 coins this year so far but three of them were firsts for me. Who would of thought you would find california gold in Galena, Illinois:huh:thinkingabout: Thanks again and Happy Hunting everyone! Donna

del
09-22-2012, 11:34 PM
some incredible coin finds there Donna :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: the capped bust and Gold half dollar are nothing short of amazing :shocked04: :omg: :wow: :congrats: i'm glad to see you post again on the forum but i'm also so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Father .

Dan

BHNugget
09-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Congrats on some incredible finds! Can you imagine trying to hang on to a coin the size of that half dollar? Its no wonder a hole got punched in it. Really puts it into perspective sitting next to the dime. :perfect10:

skribnodsister
09-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks Dan and BHNugget-I forgot About the last picture I posted to show how small the coin actually was from the dime to half dime to the small half dollar. Also we got my mom back out there Saturday and Sunday and with Jr's helped we slipped a wheat penny in her hole- she was so excited! She missed her afternoon nap on both Saturday and Sunday because she was out digging-I think she's hooked on it now!

zrickkid
10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Nice finds especially the gold! :omg:

swamp yankee
11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Congratulations Donna on the great finds and it was good of you to bring your mum with you! We all need to get out as we age and the added excitement of your finding goodies will stay w/her over the winter months.I found an 1872 half dime in Long Beach Wa. this year so I am happy for you too.Stick w/any productive area trashy or not as these have been passed by by the lazy members of the hobby.I'd go back till I found the $20.00 double eagle that's waiting for you to find it! H.H.

rsarge1
11-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Congratulations Donna!! http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/Smileys/SoLoSMiLeYS1/peace.gif :perfect10:

giant056
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Awesome finds thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
11-02-2012, 08:11 PM
:omg: :wow: a GOLD Coin, that is an incredible find, WTG

54shooter
11-03-2012, 12:53 AM
My first time on the forum and I run into a gold coin find!!!! :omg: You must be very proud of all those great finds. Congrats and HH