PDA

View Full Version : 1829 JACKSON INAUGURAL BUTTON & SMALL VAN BUREN 1840 HARD TIMES TOKEN

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Got out for a half of day to some cellar holes i been to before,Keith (ugotit) met up with me later in the day at the sites. 1st site gave up the token.thought it was some kind of old political token and pouched it.went up to another site.1st target was this tiny childs ring no markings and its gold plated and looks fairly old. then I dug a larger tombac and a small cuff button.then behind me i caught a glimpse of someone scared the crap outta me .it was Keith lol.we then went down to another hole.he got a fattie somethin..IH or flying eagle not sure until he cleans it up and posts. i got one more button then we called it a day.
cleaning last button i see a weird backmark i never seen before? under the loop i see ANDREW JACKSON MARCH 4,1829 plain front.it's a inaugural button! how cool and what a suprise!
and i looked up the token,it's considered a hard times token just a smaller variety so im counting it as a copper! lol.thanks keith and I wish you and your wife to be (saturday)many years of happiness!

TOKEN INFO BELOW

HT 77B Low 183B XF-45 R-8

Martin Van Buren. Independent Treasury. Gilt Copper. Pain edge. 24mm. Holed for suspension as made. MVB 1840-8. Numbers 77, 77A and 77B always occur holed. 77 has either a plain or diagonally reeded edge, while 77A and B have a plain edge. These pieces may not have seen currency use.

Holed as made. Traces of gilding (10%) remain around the rims.

The Robert Schonwalter Collection of U.S. Hard Times Tokens, Stacks, January 20, 2004, lot 2303.
Ex. New Netherlands Coin Company, May 17, 1952. Noted as Bought as L162.

http://www.hardtimestokens.com/HT61HT80.html

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
more pics

Ill Digger
09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
I bet that was a nice little surprise to read that on the back of the button! :confused:..... :shocked01:.... :omg:.... <: lol
Probably a little better surprise that getting the crap scared out of ya while all alone in the woods lol
The token a sweet find too Dave! :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats on yet some more great, great finds! :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
thanks Tim! i was reading up on this hard times token and it said they were gilted so,I pulled out the toothbrush and soaped it up and yep theres still gilt on it thumbsup01

aloldstuff
09-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Dave, :wow: great button and token. As Tim says being surprised with the button is better than what happend to you in the woods. Some really great keepers today and congrats on another copper. I'm guessing that not many tokens were gilted.

Merc
09-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Nice hunt for sure Dave!! :congrats: Great keepers.

foundation hunter
09-20-2012, 08:00 AM
http://www.icollector.com/Andrew-Jackson-1829-Inaugural-Backname-Button-Andrew-Jackson-1829-Inaugural-Backname-Button_i5360505
Dave this 1 is the same as yours sold for 220.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-20-2012, 08:12 AM
http://www.icollector.com/Andrew-Jackson-1829-Inaugural-Backname-Button-Andrew-Jackson-1829-Inaugural-Backname-Button_i5360505
Dave this 1 is the same as yours sold for 220.

cool thanks Gary! |:cheering:

Sal66
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
:perfect10: Wow that's GREAT !!!

That's really cool that you found TWO back to back presidential Items in one day. Actually I found a link to a site where the same button was for sale in 2007. http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?AuctionItemID=26256

Obviously everyone knows Andrew Jackson but how many know M. Van Buren that well? Did you know he was the First Born United States Citizen to become President ?? Here's a story about him. .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Van_Buren What are the odds of finding Two items from the 7th and 8th President in one day. That's incredible. By the way, I saw some of those tokens on Ebay if you want to know the monetary value.
The bigger thing here is you found two great Historical Items in one day. Some people don't accomplish that in a lifetime.
I say those should be the finds of the Month for sure !! |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

As far as the button goes, it's possible that it's a Commemorative Button and not an Actual Inaugural Button. Dan and I both found buttons that had Backmarks that said : Waterloo 1815 with a pictorial of a drum, drumsticks, spears and another musical instrument. A historian at a Museum told me these kind of buttons were popular back in the 1800's.
The ring if adjustable type may of been a women's ring . A petite women,but being gold, it seems to fit better unless the family was well off.
Anyway, Congrat's Again !!

NAS
09-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Now, that's why we search, nice ring!

del
09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
:wow: :congrats: great day Dave :perfect10: the Jackson button is a political campaign button (PC 82 ) in the alberts book, it describes the motto you mentioned plus the variety that has 24 stars around the boarder. a great piece :smitten: :smitten: very nice score on the Van Buren token |:cheering: |:cheering:

p.s. makes you want to really check out all those plain flat buttons you find , doesn't it lol lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-20-2012, 04:32 PM
thanks Sal for all that info.the ring is not adjustable,so, a very petite woman or childs ring.
Thanks Dan,I scrub all my buttons after every hunt.I've done that from the start of this cellar hole escapade you got me hooked on.so,I know for certain there are no hidden gems sitting in my button jar ;)

rsarge1
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
wow you do have some good areas to hunt wtg, I am hoping to get into some old ares around here I have guyh who has an old indian battle field located and is on private land, his family and he has offered to take me there to hunt so I will be doing some relic hunting soon LOL.
nice hunt
sarge

Ill Digger
09-20-2012, 07:01 PM
thanks Tim! i was reading up on this hard times token and it said they were gilted so,I pulled out the toothbrush and soaped it up and yep theres still gilt on it thumbsup01
Oh nice! :clapping:
It payed to do a little reading huh thumbsup01
It's even better now Dave! :yes:
Congrats again :grin:

milco
09-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Wow, super finds! A lot of history with those old tokens, very cool!

Sal66
09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
|:cheering: Ok. So Dan, when you say Campaign Button you mean they were sold and worn to Fund his election as opposed to just showing support for him running for President?
Where can I purchase that Albert's Book ? Is it available online ?
What I don't understand is why did they decorate the back if it was a campaign button? Wouldn't you think they would want to show their support by displaying something on the front of the button , like they do today ?
Either way, I vote these finds as finds of the month. They are truly a great find historically and one to be very proud of. I wouldn't doubt if there might be another one of those buttons at the same location. I would hunt that site out, now you know what it reads and where it was . I think when Dan and I found our Waterloo 1815 Commemorative buttons, they were in the same general area.
CONGRATS AGAIN !