PDA

View Full Version : archaelogical finds in castle Loevestein

NAS
09-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi,

A week ago I went to a castle in my surroundings, the castle is (in Dutch) called Slot Loevestein.
It's a castle from 1400 and now there is a museum in the castle. It's well known as the castle where Hugo de Groot escaped from, don't know if you know Hugo de Groot, but in Holland he's well-known.

But, there was an excavation in slot loevestein last week, and also this and next week yet.
They dug up some old soldier houses from the 17th century. The finds from there where musketballs, coins, buttons, that stuff (mostly is from 1600).
So I went to the castle and took a couple of pictures last week Friday.

Hope you enjoy them!

NAS

NAS
09-20-2012, 03:27 PM
More pictures!

del
09-20-2012, 07:06 PM
great pictures NAS , looks like a good sized project too. do they use metal detectors or enlist volunteer hobbyists to aid them in artifact recovery in any way at that project or in general where your at??

Dan

NAS
09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
great pictures NAS , looks like a good sized project too. do they use metal detectors or enlist volunteer hobbyists to aid them in artifact recovery in any way at that project or in general where your at??

Dan

Yeah, it was a very good sized project. 300m2 I believe. They used metaldetectors, I saw a Tesoro Lobo and a couple of other detectors. I asked them of I could help with excavation, they said yes, but not in the weekends, only from monday till friday. And that's a shame, cause I'm too busy trough the week.

nas

aloldstuff
09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
One big excavation. To bad you are to busy during the week, that could be alot of fun detecting there. Very nice photos

tanacat
09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for sharing your pics and story! :yes: This looks like a very exciting excavation- yes, it's a bummer that they won't allow you to detect there on the weekends :crying02:

NAS
09-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Thank you guys!

Fire Fighter 43
09-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for sharing, it looks like a major project, keep us posted on what they dig up.