PDA

View Full Version : ATTN : HEAVYMETALNUT Commemorative Button

Sal66
09-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Hey here is that Button I mentioned. The Date Says June 1815 if you can't read it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2012, 06:30 AM
awesome button! the front does indeed look silvered |:cheering: very cool find! :perfect10:

lee
09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
waterloo ? is it anything to do with the real battle and what pray tell is it doing in yanksville ?

The Battle of Waterloo was fought on Sunday, 18 June 1815 near Waterloo in present-day Belgium, then part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. An Imperial French army under the command of Emperor Napoleon was defeated by the armies of the Seventh Coalition, comprising an Anglo-Allied army under the command of the Duke of Wellington combined with a Prussian army under the command of Gebhard von Blücher. It was the culminating battle of the Waterloo Campaign and Napoleon's last. The defeat at Waterloo ended his rule as Emperor of the French, marking the end of his Hundred Days return from exile.

Upon Napoleon's return to power in 1815, many states that had opposed him formed the Seventh Coalition and began to mobilise armies. Two large forces under Wellington and Blücher assembled close to the north-eastern border of France. Napoleon chose to attack in the hope of destroying them before they could join in a coordinated invasion of France with other members of the coalition. The decisive engagement of this three-day Waterloo Campaign (16–19 June 1815) occurred at the Battle of Waterloo. According to Wellington, the battle was the nearest-run thing you ever saw in your life.[5]

Napoleon delayed giving battle until noon on 18 June to allow the ground to dry. Wellington's army, positioned across the Brussels road on the Mont-Saint-Jean escarpment, withstood repeated attacks by the French, until, in the evening, the Prussians arrived in force and broke through Napoleon's right flank. At that moment, Wellington's Anglo-Allied army counter-attacked and drove the French army in disorder from the field. Pursuing coalition forces entered France and restored King Louis XVIII to the French throne. Napoleon abdicated, surrendered to the British, and was exiled to Saint Helena, where he died in 1821.

The battlefield is in present-day Belgium, about 8 miles (13 km) south by south-east of Brussels, and about 1 mile (1.6 km) from the town of Waterloo. The site of the battlefield is today dominated by a large monument, the Lion Mound. As this mound was constructed from earth taken from the battlefield itself, the contemporary topography of the part of the battlefield around the mound has not been preserved.

Sal66
09-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes that's right. The real Battle of Waterloo. I figured someone brought it along with them on their voyage to America. Pretty odd, huh?
All I know is I contacted someone from the historical dept. at the Waterbury button Co. about a button that has their original name on it, Benedict & Burnham Co. and asked him about the Watrloo button as well. He just said it wasn't uncommon for button makers to make Commemorative buttons back in the 1800's. How this got to America is a mystery. I doubt it was made here. Probably brought over when the person made their new life in America just like the English did when they came over.
If anyone has a button book and wants to spend the time, please go ahead do the research. I haven't found much about it other than the person I detected with found one also at a different time. It pays to clean the backs of those buttons, doesn't it?

Here's the Benedict & Burnham Button. the shiniest one I own.

del
09-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Sal i've only heard of or seen two others besides myself finding one of these buttons , one guy was at a beach and it was in terrible shape . i've been lucky enough to find two heres the best looking one it says june 18 1815 Wellinton & Waterloo and has the Drum and banner motif up above .i was told they are a commemorative button and probably British made .

Dan

Sal66
09-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Dan, I thought yours was the same identical one like mine. I didn't realize it was different. You found yours at the same Cellar hole I found mine, right?
Yea that was a long time ago. I found a Fugio there also plus one Large Cent. You and Chris found Large Cents also if I remember right. That was the same area I found that 1795 Draped Bust and nicked it. It was in poor condition anyway. I remember going through my phase of nicking coins with the shovel. I got out of that habit real quick. Now it's dig the hole slower and more shallow, then slowly work your way down with you hands if you can. I think it was the stupid roots that pissed me off. There's nothing worse than dealing with tons of roots !! :thumbsdown:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Benedict & Burnham buttons are some of the best quality buttons i have dug too.they really laid the gilt on theirs,most of mine are still heavily gilted.It set them apart from other button Companies no doubt!

cbrown
10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
nice looks heavy .