PDA

View Full Version : Just recieved my new Ace 250 and went for a test run.

jspence
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Hello all,

Recently received my new Garret Ace 250. Seems easy enough to operate. I like the way the controls and readout are at a thumbs reach. I spent about 30 to 40 minutes in the back yard playing around in all metal mode and found two cut nails and one screw bit for a drill.
I found that the plastic had shovel was a little unsuitable for digging through small roots and hard dirt, so I went to the store today and bought one of those short camping type shovels. I think this will help. Two things that I'm considering buying next are the cover for the coil that protects it from wear, and possible one of those large serrated knives I have seen in the videos I have watched on Utube. What are your thought one these items? Also, I have seen people using the coil laid beside the hole while the user waves clumps of dirt by the coil as they go through what they dug up, and also the use of a pointer. Do many of you use a pointer, or just wave the clumps over the coil? Also, does the pointer have to plug into the detector or does it work on its own? It looked like some of the videos I saw had a wire that looked like it went to the detector.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Thiltzy
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Congratz on your new purchase jspence :congrats:

I would suggest planting some coins, jewelry and other common trash items ie. bottle caps, pull tabs etc in your yard and use it as a test garden. This way you will quickly learn what your Ace is telling you.

I'm considering buying next are the cover for the coil that protects it from wear, and possible one of those large serrated knives I have seen in the videos I have watched on Utube.
Buy these items immediately. You always want to protect your coil and the serrated knife is called a Lesche tool. All medtal detector hobbyist want to be as neat as possible when digging holes and this tool will allow you to do so and it will make your digging alot easier.

Do many of you use a pointer, or just wave the clumps over the coil? Also, does the pointer have to plug into the detector or does it work on its own? It looked like some of the videos I saw had a wire that looked like it went to the detector.

If you don't want to spend a majority of your time trying to locate your targets, then yes, a pinpointer is a must have. It will dramatically increase your recovery time. There are two types of pinpointers. The one that is connected to a machine is called a Sunray probe and then there are a number of stand alone pinpointers that you use on its own. Just think of it as a miniature detector that beeps when you're close to the target in the hole. I can't stress how much it will make your life easier by getting a pinpointer and more importantly, it will allow you to enjoy this great hobby a lot more.

Good luck and Happy Hunting,

del
09-22-2012, 07:43 PM
hello and welcome to the forum jspence , Thiltzy gave you some sound advice . i can only add that a pinpointer (regardless of kind) can also be helpful in you not scratching your intended target (coin , jewelry or relic ) . hope to see you post some great finds soon Jeff.

Dan

POKIE73
09-22-2012, 07:43 PM
that was some great advice you got from thilzy one thing i can add i dont think the ace 250 works with the sunray probe i would check into it first as they are not cheap on the other hand a garrett pinpointer is reasonable about 125 i think there are a few others but the garrett is one of the best good luck dennis

Epi-hunter
09-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi, congrats on your new ACE250! |:cheering: It's a great detector :yes:

Sun Ray does make an inline probe for the ACE series - it's called the YF-1 Invader. The main issue is that it costs about the same as the detector itself (around $200). I would not detect without my in line probe, but some people prefer the handheld pinpointers. I didn't have a Sun Ray on my ACE250 though, but have one on my E-Trac and the V3i.

I don't care for lesche diggers as most of my detecting is in public parks - I use a very sturdy hand digging shovel that cost about $12 and digs very nice, clean plugs.

Celluforce
09-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Welcome to the hobby my friend! thumbsup01

Lesche is the most popular tool for digging your finds... And it come in a wide variety... (see in the classifieds section) But Friskars &quot:beerbuddy:ig Grip is less expensive... Arround 10$

I also carry a pocket knife and a big screwdriver... I used them for the probe technique when your not allowed to cut plugs... The probe technique needs a more precise pinpointing. When you have pinpointed the target, use the knife or the screwdriver and plant it just beside the middle of the target you'd pinpointed. Make some moves back and forth and try to make a cone shape hole remove your knife or screwdriver... (here the use of pinpointer is a must) Try to find the metalic target in the cone shape hole you made. You can use your finger, knife, screwdriver... or pinpointer probe to find your target.

Pinpointer is a tool that I use more and more often with the probe technique... Simply search in the cone shape hole with the probe... Here, I did go for low budget pinpointer, but the next one may be a Garrett ProPointer or a Minelab ProFind 25.

One other piece of equipment I use... Gloves !

Daniel [attachimg=1]

Lowjiber
09-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the hobby and the forum from Nevada.

As you can see from the responses, there is plenty of help and opinions here to get you started in a hobby that can last a lifetime. Here are a few of my opinions (your results may vary. :rolleyes: )...

Diggers... I really like the Lesche diggers. I carry one over my back pocket in the holster that is provided. If you get one, cut the bottom half inch off the holster to let accumulated dirt fall out.

Coil covers... A totally unnecessary expense unless you're hunting a lot in the desert. Again, IMHO.

Pinpointers/Probes... I love the Sunrays. They are more than just a pinpointer. In this short tutorial, you'll see a picture of one of mine on an Ace 250:
http://www.americandetectorist.com/probe.shtml

However, as Epi-Hunter mentioned, they're pretty expensive related to the cost of your machine. You might be happier starting out with one of the hand-held pinpointers mentioned above. I also have one on my Vision, MXT, and M6.

Swinging the coil... One word: Slow.

Digging holes... Learn to dig a horseshoe flap of grass/roots to open the hole. The flap can be returned to cover the dirt replaced after the target is recovered. The connection of the grass roots is maintained by folding the horseshoe back down and tamping lightly.

Keep a small cloth available to place removed dirt on. By carefully lifting the cloth, you can usually just pour the dirt back in place. Besides, who wants a bunch of removed dirt in the grass behind the hole anyway?

aloldstuff
09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
You are now armed with a detector and all sorts of great advise. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to your finds.

jkress
09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Welcome to our group from Iowa Jeff. :clapping:
I found many nice keepers with the Ace 250. It will undoubtedly put some nice ones in your pocket too. :->

Fire Fighter 43
09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Hello Jeff and welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin.

OxShoeDrew
09-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the hobby and the forum. I hope to see some nice posts soon thumbsup01

CODY
10-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Welcome from Mississippi. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post and finds. IMHO pinpointer, a must have. Serrated digger, a must have. Coil cover only if it makes you happy. Coil should be water proof anyway. Welcome.