PDA

View Full Version : Hunting duo day in Wisconsin

dalewestaby
09-23-2012, 07:28 PM
So MarineDad contacted me through this forum and said he was heading up to Wisconsin to camp, in my town no less!! We agreed to go detecting in town and he wanted me to show him some potentially good spots. This town is hunted out completely so I wasnt going to promise him anything. Ive only found one indian head before and jewelery is so scarce because people hunt it allllll the time..

We met up at 6am, :frozen: 34f degrees outside so we bundled up and hit an old park that caught his eye the day before. We detected it for about an hour and besides a carosine lamp top and a modern bus token, we only found clad. The park has been hunted sooo hard, as every park here has..

I then thought of a hill of mowed lawn against the college with a plaque and said we should check it out and see if we can slip on there and detect before the college yells at us, in a pretty old part of town. It turned out to be a park!, since 1998, which all other parks here have been established in the early 1900's. On the plaque, it said the park used to be a township before my town gobbled up its township territory. We hunted for about ten minutes and BAM! :shocked03: My 1st ever barber dime! 1892!!!

THEN ANOTHER BARBER DIME! This park must have missed the metal detecting rush of the 80's since it was established so late in the 90's.

I ended up finding 3 indian heads, 2 barber dimes, some junk pendants, a buff nickel and 5 wheaties. MarineDad found like 9 wheat pennies and 3 silver rings!!!!!

We got tired so we grabbed some lunch, did a house hunt that didnt turn up much and decided to hit a elementary tot lot with rubber chips. I found pocket change and a mood ring, and a butterly junk ring. MarineDad yanked out a Mercury Dime from underneath the landscape cloth under the chips!!! That lucky guy!!!

I was tuckered out and we headed towards the grocery store to pick up some famous brats that MarineDad ordered. We saw a bulldozed house site against a parking l lot that was going to be made into more parking lot. We slipped on the edge of that and got about 6 minutes in before a college authority showed up to tell us its state college property. The College officer said he doesnt mind metal detecting and he would let us stay, if it was up to him, but since someone mentioned us, he had to tell us not to be there to cover his own arse. MarineDad was able to squeeze out a native american theme pendant in the short time we were there. Im going to write a letter to the college asking for limited permission for that site. I found out the college owns most houses in that area for when they want to expand in the future.

SO yeah, here are our finds. Lots of change. Lots of junk excluded from pictures of course. I found some old buttons and stuff, and so did MarineDad. Im still BLOWN AWAY that there was so many coins left in that tiny park. UNBELIEVABLE :cool:

dalewestaby
09-23-2012, 07:59 PM
And here's a total update picture of my finds in the last 3 weeks. I traded the Lugar Bullet from marinedad for my bus token. A good trade!, but everything else in the pic found by me.

jkress
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Nice!!! :clapping: The last 3 weeks of hunting provided many great keepers.
Congrats Dale. Love the Barber, IH's and especially the gold ring.

I'm still hoping we can get together for a hunt this fall. :yes:

I'd suggest not 'slipping' in anywhere to detect. Definitely not worth a trespassing charge. You have the right idea
about contacting the college for permission. There's probably lots of nice targets waiting for you to find.

milco
09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Wow, awesome finds! Congrats on a great day of hunting! I purposely seek out parks that have been established from about 1990 on to the present for exactly the reasons you mention. These parks often contain bits of property that used to be other things in decades past and often are not as hunted out because, like you said, they were not parks during the hey day of MDing in the 70's and 80's. Congrats on the great finds and your first Barber(s)!!! :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
09-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Amazing Finds, Dale! I am very happy for you. Great to see you having so much success!

Fantastic coins and jewelry! thumbsup01

:perfect10:

POKIE73
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
congrats on a good hunt with the other half of the bucket brigade dennis

aloldstuff
09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Great for you on deciding to hit that mowed hill. WOW some Barbers, IH, buff and wheats. Like your gold ring also. So its not all hunted out.....

marinedad
09-24-2012, 11:29 PM
thanks dale for a day of dirtfishing, after a good rain detect that park you got the barbers from. if you ever come down this way, this flatlander will return the favor, we might even have some octoberfest brats left, mark.