PDA

View Full Version : Old Silver Reale

chief5709
09-24-2012, 11:12 AM
September 22, 2012 - About twenty minutes into a group hunt in a New Hampshire farm field I found this 1724 TWO Reale. For awhile I thought it was a four reale but after research confirmed it was a two. Anyways, its my oldest dated coin and largest silver that I have ever found.

Tony Two-Cent
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Now THAT is an incredible find! |:confused:)

Huge congrats, Chief! <:

Such a beautiful coin, and it's actually in nice shape considering it's almost 300 years old. :smitten:

:perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
09-24-2012, 01:59 PM
What a thrill! A huge congrats to you....nice work.

RobW
09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
AWSOME! Congrats :clapping:

del
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Brian , i so wanted to go to that hunt too but had other obligations , great looking pistareen if its about the size of a quarter its a two reale and are far more common than 4 reales which are about the size of a half dollar. :congrats: on a fine piece of silver :clapping: :clapping:

aloldstuff
09-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I would kill to have one of them get under my coil, huge :congrats: on getting your oldest coin to date. |:cheering:

Sal66
09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
:omg: Truly a wonderful find. Why is it Copper -looking, for lighting purposes? That's so great how the Date stayed intact although the rest of that side is very weak, The other side is very nice. I understand it's a very old coin but why do you guys think it's so worn ? From years and years of handling. I've been waiting for someone to find something larger than a half reale and here it is. :perfect10:
There is hope out there for us. I found a half reale once and it's so worn, you might as well just call it a silver blank. So, even though it's not complete, it's something to be proud of.
Congrat's Man !!!
Sal

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
awesome coin! |:cheering:

chief5709
09-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Brian , i so wanted to go to that hunt too but had other obligations , great looking pistareen if its about the size of a quarter its a two reale and are far more common than 4 reales which are about the size of a half dollar. :congrats: on a fine piece of silver :clapping: :clapping:

Hey Dan, it was a good day out there, always good to get out with a bunch of people that really enjoy the hobby! There weren't a ton of finds but a great day none the less. The coin is actually bigger than a quarter and smaller than a half. Bernie found an 1830's 2R and it was smaller than this coin so that is why we originally thought it was a 4R. Anyways I am very happy with this find.

chief5709
09-25-2012, 06:22 AM
:omg: Truly a wonderful find. Why is it Copper -looking, for lighting purposes? That's so great how the Date stayed intact although the rest of that side is very weak, The other side is very nice. I understand it's a very old coin but why do you guys think it's so worn ? From years and years of handling. I've been waiting for someone to find something larger than a half reale and here it is. :perfect10:
There is hope out there for us. I found a half reale once and it's so worn, you might as well just call it a silver blank. So, even though it's not complete, it's something to be proud of.
Congrat's Man !!!
Sal

Thanks Sal! I think its just the lighting in the picture thats giving it a copper look. No clue on why it worn so much on one side, maybe the owner used if for a rubbing stone. I'm just glad he left the date on it!!!

chief5709
09-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks for all the comments!

milco
09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Wow, great finds, congrats on the amazing old coin!

Terry Soloman
09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
:perfect10: :congrats: Sweet freaking find!

Ill Digger
10-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow! :wow: Now that's some old silver! :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats on that bad boy! :clapping:
I can only hope to find a Reale someday :daydream:

CTX Tom
10-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Dynamite find chief! A reale is on my wish list.Awesome coin! Wtg!