PDA

View Full Version : what a bummer !!!

carl2112
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
well after a little research i found out that the last two gold rings i found were gold filled does anyone know what that means and if its the same as gold plated. the first one said 10k G.F. espo on the inside and the second just had 10K G.F. at first i assumed the G.F. were intials but i thought it was strange that two rings had the same letters in side and after doing a little research espo is or was im not real sure a jewrely maker anf ther G.F. stands for gold filled any info on this would be nice

oh and im still telling people i found 4 gold rings so far just cause there not solid gold doesnt mean they dont count as gold lol

Lowjiber
09-25-2012, 05:28 AM
A rose, by any other name, is still a rose. :rolleyes:

Tony Two-Cent
09-25-2012, 05:58 AM
From Wikipedia:

Gold-filled jewelry, also known as rolled gold or rolled gold plate is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass. Some high quality gold-filled pieces have the same appearance as 14 karat (58%) gold. In the USA the quality of gold filled is defined by the Federal Trade Commission. If the gold layer is 10 kt fineness the minimum layer of karat gold in an item stamped GF must equal at least 1/10 the weight of the total item. If the gold layer is 12 kt or higher the minimum layer of karat gold in an item stamped GF must equal at least 1/20 the weight of the total item. The most common stamps found on gold-filled jewelry are 1/20 12kt GF and 1/20 14kt GF. Also common is 1/10 10kt. Some products are made using sterling silver as the base, although this more expensive version is not common today.

Gold-filled items, even with daily wear, can last five to 30 years but will eventually wear through. The gold layer on gold-plated jewelry varies greatly depending on manufacturer, so there is no single, simple comparison. Gold-filled items are 50 to 100,000 times thicker than regular gold plating, and 17 to 25,000 times thicker than heavy gold electroplate (sometimes stamped HGE or HGP—usually found on flashy cubic zirconia cocktail rings).