PDA

View Full Version : Pond Shore Hunt #14 - 1944S Washington

milco
09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
I made it to the pond yesterday for a very short hunt. I continue to go over different and some of the same areas over and over again, each time pulling out more trash with the hope that next time the removed trash will reveal another old coin. Just before leaving I found this very tarnished 1944S quarter just under the surface, part of the edge was actually sticking out of the mud/sand.

aloldstuff
09-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Way to still work that pond. Looks like trash removal is paying off. :congrats: on the silver

Tony Two-Cent
09-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Nice silver Washington, Darren! I wonder if it could be cleaned up, maybe with Angel's baking soda method?

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0

It looks like it would still have nice details.

Cool find!

milco
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Cleaned her up with electrolysis last night, wife thought I was cooking rotten eggs in the basement, whew!

Tony Two-Cent
09-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, there you go!

Much better! :clapping:

Sal66
09-26-2012, 02:07 PM
From my experience with Silver Coins is the electrolysis method made some of my silver dimes look a little grainy. I might have gone another way with it. What was on the coin before you used that method? I think Determining what is on the Coin is the key to removing it. Didn't you say it was at Pond ? And unfortunately, I'm not a Water hunter . i might have tried a little Vinegar, watching it very very carefully and use a soft cloth to remove the remnants of what is left.
I guess it depends on the age of the Silver. When I found my Key Date 1892s Barber Quarter. I just soaked it in dish soap because it had a little rust on the back because there was a Shield Nickel in the same whole and some of the rust got on the back. Here is the results. This was years ago by the way.