PDA

View Full Version : Got permission to hunt a co-worker's 1920s farm house...

Tony Two-Cent
09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I mentioned something about metal detecting at work today and one of my co-workers said, Hey, why don't you metal detect at my house? I asked him how old his house was and he said it was built in the 1920s. I agreed to follow him home after work tonight and give it a shot. It turns out that he lives in a house I had driven past many times and drooled over the expansive front yard with huge old trees. I had no idea he lived there.

This time of year there is only about 1 1/2 hours of daylight left after work, so I turned on my E-Trac and got started right away. I hunted as much of the front yard as I could before it got dark. I ended up with 9 wheat cents, 1 V Nickel, 2 Buffalo Nickels and a war nickel. I didn't get my coil over any silver dimes or quarters, but surely there is some to be found there. The war nickel actually saved me from the dreaded SDHOS tonight.

He says that I am welcome to come back and hunt any time. I will definitely be taking him up on that!

Here are my finds for the evening:

Nine wheaties, most of which are from the teens and twenties:

Oddly enough, all of the nickels have a mint mark, even the V Nickel which is unusual. I think the buffalos are both from the teens, although the dates are weak.

The 1912-D V Nickel was a nice surprise.

No Indian Heads tonight, so I'm still stuck at 98. :-\

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

milco
09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Awesome finds Tony! Time to go to the store and by a head lamp! Yes, I'm serious, I keep it in my car for just these type of situations. Good luck on future hunts there, I'll bet there is going to be some more nice finds from that yard!

jkress
09-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Great post Tony. I was hoping for an IH head here. :->

With a V in the mix... there is hope for #100 in the area.

Congrats on the 5¢ trifecta. :clapping:

POKIE73
09-27-2012, 06:10 AM
comgrats on a great hunt you seem to do very good on the nickels what your secret i have only found 3 by themselves must be doing something wrong anyway again congrats on your keepers dennis

aloldstuff
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I quess we all know where you will be this coming Saturday. You can never tell what is going to happen when you mention metal detecting to people. That yard has the potenial to give up some more great keepers, keep us posted. Getting a V with a mint mark is fantastic :congrats:

RobW
09-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Great quick hunt...I do not normally comment on wheats...but those are some nice early date S mints...congrats!

CODY
09-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Gret finds Tony. The Silver is there waiting, I feel it. Can't wait to see it. Congrats on your finds.

Tony Two-Cent
09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the site:

Full Metal Digger
09-27-2012, 08:40 PM
WOW TONY! What a great place to detect. I think I can smell a big silver in that yard too! Congrats on the nickel trifecta also. I'm insanely jealous. My e-trac is still at the factory for repair. Been there almost 3 weeks and they still haven't started working on it yet. :thumbsdown: Best wishes and I look forward to seeing what else you pull out of there. Dave.

Ill Digger
09-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Here's a couple pictures of the site:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/House-1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/House-2.jpg
:shocked01: Oh yeah! That place would have me drooling too! :yes:
Heck! It's got me drooling right now! :drool: lol
Nice finds so far Tony! thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:
I can't wait to see what else is there waiting for you to unearth! :->

JTGOLD
09-28-2012, 09:34 PM
nice handfull of keepers and that is some nice looking hunting area,good job.

BHNugget
09-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Nice finds Tony!! Beautiful hunt site with at least a chance of a cache on the property. thumbsup01