PDA

View Full Version : My first cellar hole LC!

RobW
09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Been wanting to find older items more consitantly...and seeing the amazing things that other members have been finding..especially Dave

I decided to have my go at cellar holes..

My first time out I found absolutly nothing.
My second time out, Al went with, he absolutly hated it >:#...I did manage a Buffalo nickel, a spoon, and a nice Rosette

My third time out I hit several foundation sites, these things have been hit hard over the years. I was finding that the holes would be in clusters on both sides of the road. So after finding one, I would walk around in the woods and see others at a decent yardage off. After hitting one and finding a spoon bowl, I was walking through the woods looking for another, I noticed an odd small pile of rocks, I was walking/sweeping a bit, mostly just vlooking around...then BAM...12/47 <:....I knew what it was before I dug. My first cellar hole LC!
I hit the area around a large perimeter and only managed one more item....an early PONTIAC token, with the CHIEF, the top says PONTIAC the bottom Chief of the Street

So I now got the bug.....but apparently I need to find someone else to do cellar hole hunting with..cause Al ain't down with it.but I still love'm and we will still do our regular thing :smitten:

del
09-27-2012, 04:42 PM
congrats Rob |:cheering: |:cheering: yeah cellar hunting is an acquired taste and can be very addicting , i recommend that if Al wants to tag along sometime with you that mid september october , november and early spring would be best times to enjoy it. the rest of the year is brutal and really only for die hard nut-jobs like HEAVYMETALNUT ( sorry Dave but the truth hurts sometimes lol :hysterical: rofl) my wife has reminded George and i countless times that we are just that as well .

aloldstuff
09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
It's a sad state of affairs to read that I have been replaced by a hole in the ground in the woods rofl. OH woo is me, Oh what shall I do now :dontknow:. In a recent discussion that I had recently with Rob he indicated that he was wanting some display items and I am sure that my hat plate and shoulder belt plate had nothing to do with this. Rob, I will be heading to some cellar holes with you but you know how that leg pain I have can be. If I can't make it to the hunt I am surely wishing you the best in your quest for those display items. :waving:

See ya on the front lawns and congrats on getting your 1st cellar hole LC. Only one more to go for that quota. :grouphug:

milco
09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Congrats on the LC! I love cellar hole hunting, there just aren't that many around here, they are few and far between. Most of our old homesites have long been plowed under in the fields, but that is why field hunting in the Midwest also can't be beat!

Sal66
09-28-2012, 12:05 AM
|:cheering: Great going ! Yea like Dan said the humid days suck in the woods. I assume you rushed the Pics to post them. It appears to be a Matron Head. Do you know what year it is yet ? Maybe you can post some better Pics when it's cleaned up. I use Paint to re-size using the Pixel option setting the top number to 500 and the other will automatically change on it's own, then I just click save and you ready to post. However, I also use an editing program called Easyshare by Kodak to lighten,crop, etcx...

del
09-28-2012, 03:59 AM
I assume you rushed the Pics to post them. Maybe you can post some better Pics

lol lol Sal , when it comes to Rob's photography skills i'm affraid this is about as good as it gets rofl rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-28-2012, 06:10 AM
awesome Rob and congrats! i'm beyond addicted :happydance01: happydance02 :crazy:

RobW
09-28-2012, 07:04 AM
lol lol Sal , when it comes to Rob's photography skills i'm affraid this is about as good as it gets rofl rofl

So true, so true rofl

I did buy a real camera, but it's just such a pain to take the photos, download them, etc...I just take them with my phone and email them to myself and in between things at work, post

It actually took me a few days and even a request from Dan to post the pics.....and the LC IS cleaned up lol...and unfortunatly...no date...like with all the other women in my life :hysterical:

chief5709
09-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Congrats on the LC! |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
09-29-2012, 01:28 AM
I love to think about the history of a site, why they left etc. Then I try to picture what the site looked like with people going about their business, foot traffic, water supplies, barns, then detect where they were. Then most of the time I determine that Dan and George pounded the site years ago and move on lol
Cellar holes provide solitude, wild life, and TICKS! I swear, ticks are getting smaller, or my eyes getting worse....can't see 'em.....and I certainly can't see your coin lol :poke:

Fire Fighter 43
09-30-2012, 02:08 PM
:wow: Very nice, congrats on the LC