PDA

View Full Version : Beware ! It may ALIVE !!

Sal66
09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
lol Hello everyone, less than 24 hrs. until the contest ends. I'm adding 2 more WINNERS to each part of the game. :wow: 4 more winners in all!!
That's not my story though. I finally got out today after a couple months or more. Detected a 1925 house. I guess someone got there in the 70's before I did. Didn't find anything older than than that, not even a wheatie. Oh well.
I HAVE ONE BIG TIP WHEN DETECTING WITH LIVESTOCK ON THE PROPERTY. I went to another site today to check it out. The house was built in 1984 but the LAND is MUCH MUCH older than that.
There's STONE WALL around the property ( OLD ONES) and some kind of building was in front of the newer house. I'm hoping it was where the Colonial house was.
The people there have 2 horses and an ELECTRICAL FENCE. When out detecting, don't act like a little kid and test it, just assume it's on. Like an idiot, I grabbed
the fence. 8/ when I went to get a better look at the stone wall formation. It's not enough to hurt you, just enough to make you jump a little.
I have a REALLY big question, IF I was holding my Detector when I did that, WHICH i WASN'T ,could it of done any internal damage to the Detector ? Do any of you guys that get into the Electrical part of Metal Detectors know ? I know power lines cause interference, what about a littl jolt from a wire fence ?

del
09-29-2012, 10:54 PM
what you weren't brave enough to stick your tongue on it Sal lol rofl i doubt very much the low current electric fence would hurt it unless you had it laying up against it for some time , but they do play havoc with the machine when they are on . the emi they emit is enough to drive any detector crazy and frustrate the most hardened detectorist.

BHNugget
09-30-2012, 07:25 AM
[quote=del link=topic=11424.msg124057#msg124057 date=1348977262]
what you weren't brave enough to stick your tongue on it Sal lol rofl [quote]

I sense a double-dog dare coming lol

Tony Two-Cent
09-30-2012, 07:45 AM
If you haven't done so already, everyone should go to the September Contest and participate. Sal has put a lot of hard work into it and offered some very generous prizes. Just click on the link:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=11269.0

dalewestaby
09-30-2012, 08:24 AM
what contest? And Ive been shocked a few time rubbing against fence lines while detecting. OUCH

dalewestaby
09-30-2012, 08:25 AM
ahhh i see above ;)

jkress
09-30-2012, 10:11 AM
That'll wake a guy up for sure. lol
Did you dig up anything old at the potential Colonial site? :->

Sal66
10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
First of all, Thanks tony for the Compliment. |:cheering:
Secondly, Dan I kinda thought it was going to be on but I would of diconnected it if my relative told me that the disconnect was next to the gate. It wasn't that bad of a shock anyway. I didn't have my detector out at the time and wanted to know more about its effect on the machine more than anything. Can it fry your machine ? He said when I/we go over to detect the property he will have it off and block the horses from coming around the backyard to the front and bothering us.
The rock walls in the front area of the house is wetlands, so they can't even build anything there . The wall formation is about 2 feet high and looks like it could of been a cellar hole, but filled in. I guess we won't know until we put the coils to the ground. It looks very promising though. He has an ATV we can use when the leaves drop and explore the wooded area in the back. I'm hoping for a field at least, they only drove around the walls borders and back to the house. My Bro' In Law, not being experienced in what to look for unfortunately wasn't helpful enough to determine what was back there, that's where you come in. |:confused:)
I'll see if my Nephew still has his dirt bike and we can go back there probably when all the leaves drop like I said. Interested ?? <:
I'm, going to do some mapping and see if it's on the old maps. I told you exactly where it is so don't hesitate to do the same in a PM.

Take Care. Sal