PDA

View Full Version : Let's try this one.....digital vs. smartfind

hockeyguy
11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
On the e-trac, I believe you have both on the same screen. On the explorer, they are seperate though.. Which do you rely on?

I say digital.

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Is there even a smartfind there? :grin:

Yes, definitely digital. But I don't like graphs in general... I am a numbers person.

angellionel
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Do they have those? I listen to the tones. :grin:

Actually, on the E-Trac I do use both equally, digital and Smartfind, whereas with the SE it was just Smartfind. However with both machines for me tones rule! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
That wasn't one of the choices! :grin:

Yes, I agree. I use the digital now to back up what my ears are telling me.

OkieDigger
11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I started out using the Smartfind but found that Digital seems to work much better for me. I use a combination of the FE CO number and tone to determine whether or not I dig. The cool thing is, with either one you get the other in a smaller window at the top. So once in awhile I'll look at the Smartfind when I think it's iron. More than that though, I will use Quick Mask for the big decision maker on deep iron.

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
More than that though, I will use Quick Mask for the big decision maker on deep iron.

Not to get off topic here, but explain that will you Dale?

MNDigger
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I have mine set to the large FE CO digital readout most of the time but really rely on tones more than anything. Once I get a decent hit I will look at the readout to see what it is reading. Like Dale was saying I then check it with Quick Mask to double check iffy signals to see if it is deep iron. Angie it is basically switching it to all metal mode which generally cleans up the signal and will show a more constant iron signal if it is deep iron.

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks Steve. I haven't been using Quick Mask on the E-trac, but I did use Iron Mask on the SE for the same purpose. I'll have to start doing that.

OkieDigger
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
What Steve said.

Jack Flynn
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Digital but mostly sound.........I check the numbers sometimes, always look at the depth reading even though I'm getting the hang of using the pinpoint sound level to dig deep or deeper or really deep :grin: What's interesting is I had my gain setting to where my targets always sounded the same. I backed it off to 6 and now I can distinguish the deeper targets sound wise. Started a month ago checking with quickmask on the iffy's and it will tell the tale. Learn something everytime out.

hockeyguy
11-02-2009, 06:25 PM
very good jack...if you can hear the difference in depth, you are doing better than I. I do worry about depth loss, or missing a low blip with gain at 6...your take on it? Is there considerable difference if gain is at 7? I use 8 as I am always looking at my screen once a good sound is realized.

Also, I am thinking about changing my variability settings to eliminate the extremely hi tones as they are usually undesirable or aluminum...have u tried this?

Jack Flynn
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
You know I have realized that what works best for me is kind of like a recipe for a special cake. For a good while I was wondering if I was missing targets or didn't understand what the machine was telling me. Now I've began to learn the machine a lot better or rather the language of the E Trac. I hate to think how many things I have left in the dirt learning it. MMMM.......maybe I'll go back to some of my early hunt sites with it. Anyway my headphones were part of my problem and some adjustments were another part of it too. When I finally decided to leave everything alone and let the machine teach me instead of me trying so hard to get it right I started doing much better. I couldn't figure out between my adjustments what was being said by it. Actually a lot of reading that was posted by the great amount of experience on the forums helped tremendously.

bigjohn070
11-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Digital

HH
BIG JOHN

coinnut
11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
:shocked04: I'm afraid to post lol lol Smartfind for me, but as everyone said ---TONE first--- But smartfind second, I like the bounce for deep and iffy targets :confused:

NiagaraCountyNY
11-25-2009, 01:20 PM
With the Se I was Tones/Graph .With the Se the tones helped me ID the target .With the E-trac I use the tone to alrert me of a target ,But I use the numbers and graphs more to ID the target.

Jason in Enid
11-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I rely mainly on the tones, but I keep the digital screen up to see the numbers. Watching the cross-hair on the screen doesn't help me any.