PDA

View Full Version : Ironically Got fooled on Aprils Fools Day - 1942 Merc Fake

catskillcomics
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Well, what a freaking beautiful day we have today.. I couldn't resist to grab my MD and head to the fairgrounds. I had a spot in mind to work, but took my time getting there carefully working the grounds when i hit a target 6. I dug it up and low and behold a merc.. but it looked odd.. I ran it under my coil it came up 78/79 vdi which is usually what dime clad comes up.. I looked at the merc again and determined it is a Fake. How Ironic something like that would happen on April fool's day.
check the scan and tell me what you think.. I about 100% certain its a fake ( and NO, this post is not an attempt to fool anyone)

coinnut
04-01-2010, 03:49 PM
OK. I'll be the first one to bite, just in case your fooling us twice lol I think it's real. :yes: My reasoning is that it looks like some coins I have found that have seen a fire, but not for long enough to melt. Chiminey coins have come out this way for me. The other reason I think it's real is that it reads way too close to the real thing in numbers. Usually, fakes were made in pot or white metal. It's more difficult to make them from better metals. OK I'm done....hit me with the April Fools stuff rofl

catskillcomics
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
OK. I'll be the first one to bite, just in case your fooling us twice lol I think it's real. :yes: My reasoning is that it looks like some coins I have found that have seen a fire, but not for long enough to melt. Chiminey coins have come out this way for me. The other reason I think it's real is that it reads way too close to the real thing in numbers. Usually, fakes were made in pot or white metal. It's more difficult to make them from better metals. OK I'm done....hit me with the April Fools stuff rofl

WELL.... Its not an april fools trick, so thanks for trusting me on this and stepping up and taking one for the team to post first... LOL

I've dropped a real merc and the fake one on the table top, the fake one has more of a thud sound than a ringing sound.. so if you think its real, what do you think I should do to bring out the silver...

angellionel
04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm certain it's real. ;) I've had mercury and Barber dimes hit lower than expected, usually when worn or covered with heavy sulfide. :yes:

catskillcomics
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Yep, I guess I AM the fool for beleiving in was fake.. I generally don't do this to any coins, but I use lemon juice and baking soda and it came clean with some elbow grease.. I guess it was in some fire or something.. I guess the bright side is , I am now up to 9 silvers.. Woo Hoo ( I know Angel that's what you find in one hunt LOL) ;)

angellionel
04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
That baby has nice details too, so I'm sure it looks great. :)

ProPointer
04-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Weird how it is clean on the front, but dirty on the back with full bands..... :confused:

coinnut
04-01-2010, 10:25 PM
One tip was the date. Not any need to counterfeit during that time period. But if it was a 1930, then I may be suspect. At least you got another silver. It seems to be starting out to be a great silver year. I better start finding some soon rofl

tanacat
04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
so if you think its real, what do you think I should do to bring out the silver...

Ammonia bath for just a minute or so for silver as well? I'm new to this but think that's right... I've been meaning to get to reading down yonder in the cleaning and toning threads lol

Ill Digger
04-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't blame ya. It does look kinda funky in the pictues. :huh:
Glad it's real.
It figures you'd find a questionable coin on AFDay lol
My luck it would of been a fake :rolleyes:
Congrats :grin:

coinnut
04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
My luck it would of been a fake :rolleyes:
Congrats :grin:

You kidding, I'd take a fake over a real one anyday lol Fakes are a valuable collectable. I had a Standing Liberty Quarter and a Morgan Dollar (the only dollar I have ever found :ticked:) that were fakes. Gave them away in my younger, stupider days. :bangahead01:

Ammonia bath for just a minute or so for silver as well? I'm new to this but think that's right... I've been meaning to get to reading down yonder in the cleaning and toning threads lol

Hey, I'm feeling kinda lazy today, so I didn't check to see if we have a section on cleaning coins lol If we do then forget I asked, but if we don't, it would be a real nice asset to the site to just list the proven cleaning methods, with pictures and proceedures. One place to click to see the different cleaning for silver, gold, nickels, coppers, etc... How about it Angie, did Angel catch up with his to do list yet? lol

angellionel
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey, I'm feeling kinda lazy today, so I didn't check to see if we have a section on cleaning coins lol If we do then forget I asked, but if we don't, it would be a real nice asset to the site to just list the proven cleaning methods, with pictures and proceedures. One place to click to see the different cleaning for silver, gold, nickels, coppers, etc... How about it Angie, did Angel catch up with his to do list yet? lol

You are giving her too many ideas! :shocked04: I'm going to have to resort to speaking in Spanish. No hablo Inglés. :cheesysmile: lol lol

coinnut
04-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm going to have to resort to speaking in Spanish. No hablo Inglés. :cheesysmile: lol lol

What the heck does that mean??.....I can't find silver?? lol lol You can speak English, it's understanding that you have more work to do, that is the issue rofl Peace!!! :embarrassed: