PDA

View Full Version : Back to back days with a 1787 Copper what are the odds?

SafariScott
10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Got out today with a couple my hunting buddies who wanted some spots to hunt..........Showed them a few areas I had done well at. Decided to stop at another hole Ive been by several time but never stopped at figured it had been pounded and loaded with trash. Looks like there were about 4 or 5 trash dumps near the hole so I started working away from the hole and about 40 feet away got a solid 38 on the Safari between 6-7 inches dug down and out popped a copper.........date was clear as day 1787 turned out to be a Connecticut Copper in great shape. That makes 36.5 LC's for the year now. Its funny that I hit the 1787 Fugio yesterday and this 1787 coin today, wonder what the odds of that were. Only got a few other goodies today not pictured, part of a shoe buckle a couple suspender clips and a flat button. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
10-02-2012, 05:58 AM
What a coincidence! Another very cool find, Scott! We can only dream of finding coins dated 1787 here in Illinois. That one came out of the ground in great condition!

Congrats on the terrific find! :happydance01:

del
10-02-2012, 06:13 AM
hey Scott i'm pretty confident that its a Miller 33.7-r.2 variety , the back is in great shape and was pretty easy to id and that only has one front associated with it . its listed as a URS-12 rating which translates to about 1,000 to 1,900 examples known. i believ someone else on this forum found the same variety earlier this year or late last .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-02-2012, 06:49 AM
awesome! wish they all came out lookin like that! :perfect10:

foundation hunter
10-02-2012, 07:11 AM
It always happens in 3333,nice find.
Gary

aloldstuff
10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Two 1787 coins in 2 days = excellent. Glad you deceided to stop at that site. :congrats:

SafariScott
10-02-2012, 08:12 AM
hey Scott i'm pretty confident that its a Miller 33.7-r.2 variety , the back is in great shape and was pretty easy to id and that only has one front associated with it . its listed as a URS-12 rating which translates to about 1,000 to 1,900 examples known. i believ someone else on this forum found the same variety earlier this year or late last .

Dan

Thanks Dan.......it's funny I found the coin looked in the red book and say oh no here we go with all the different versions again. I'm glad they've come out of the ground in good enough shape to ID.

Thiltzy
10-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Gongrats on a great find in great looking details :perfect10:

del
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks Dan.......it's funny I found the coin looked in the red book and say oh no here we go with all the different versions again. I'm glad they've come out of the ground in good enough shape to ID.

Scott the red book only shows a small fraction of Connecticut coppers , there are 241 different varieties just for the 1787 alone .

Merc
10-02-2012, 05:45 PM
If your only going to find one copper , that would definitly be a great one to find. Awsome job Scott!!! :perfect10:

BKM
10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Looks like you've found a nice, new spot there Scott.

I'd say the odds have to be at least 3-1 against....at least :thinkingabout:

Sal66
10-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey Scott :congrats:. Dan what's the R level on this one ? I can't believe how nice the date is. Most are so small and not complete. That's probably AT LEAST a F-12 ,if that's how they grade them. I wouldn't do a thing to that one. I know it's alot about the history, but I have to ask, what's the Value on this version considering it's FINE condition ? I know they grade the Colonials with a little more leniency. That A is the strangest one I have ever seen.
Dan, What's the name of that book you have with the Varieties and Prices. Can you list the Authors name as well ?
Scott, I can't wait to see what other 1787 Coin you dig up. thumbsup01

SafariScott
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey Scott :congrats:. Dan what's the R level on this one ? I can't believe how nice the date is. Most are so small and not complete. That's probably AT LEAST a F-12 ,if that's how they grade them. I wouldn't do a thing to that one. I know it's alot about the history, but I have to ask, what's the Value on this version considering it's FINE condition ? I know they grade the Colonials with a little more leniency. That A is the strangest one I have ever seen.
Dan, What's the name of that book you have with the Varieties and Prices. Can you list the Authors name as well ?
Scott, I can't wait to see what other 1787 Coin you dig up. thumbsup01

Thanks Sal........I'd be curious to know the value as well, I think it'll be hard to pull a 1787 three hunts in a row but I'll give it a try Monday.