PDA

View Full Version : Short hunt after work yields my first 1883 No Cents V Nickel + more

Tony Two-Cent
10-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't usually have to work on Saturdays but today was an exception, unfortunately. I put in 8 hours today so I only had a couple of hours after work for metal detecting. Since my options were limited, I went back to a park I have hunted many times. This site has produced several Indian Head Cents from the 1860s and 1870s, plus an 1857 Seated Dime for me in the past.

Today I tried going right up around the edges of the trees, and it paid off with an 1879 Indian Head Cent. It's not as nice as the Indian Heads that usually come out of this park, probably because it was so close to the tree.

Then I tried hunting as close as I could to the fence around the ball diamond. This technique produced a 1920-S Mercury Dime, the only silver I found today.

After a while I tried hunting a strip between the fence and the street. In this area I found an 1883 No Cents V Nickel. It was a first for me, in fact, it is the oldest nickel I have found. I have always hoped that there would be a shield nickel for me in this park because of the older Indian Heads I have found. I'm getting closer!

Before it got dark I found a 1919 wheat cent and a 1936-D Buffalo Nickel, plus a junk ring.

Pretty fun hunt for only two hours. thumbsup01

Here are today's finds:

It was fun finding this 1879 Indian Head even if it isn't in great shape. It was in the bare dirt next to a tree, only about 3" deep.

I was pleased with this 1883 V Nickel, the oldest nickel I have found. Not in bad shape either, for a dug nickel.

1936-D Buffalo Nickel with a bold date:

This 1920-S Mercury Dime was about 8" from the chain-link fence.

And the junk metal ring. It was probably gold plated at one time, or maybe just polished brass or copper.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

BHNugget
10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice coins Tony, the V nickel does look in pretty good condition compared to the ones Ive found. It would be great to hunt a spot that goes back to the 1800s once in a while. thumbsup01

Ill Digger
10-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, it's pretty hard to complain about a hunt like that. \:hammer:
A IH and a silver Merc in a couple of hours is pretty darn good if you ask me! :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats Tony! :grin:

dalewestaby
10-07-2012, 02:11 AM
man those are some great finds! maybe some of those iffy signals today will become screaming silvers on a raining day

leslie(nova scotia)
10-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Well spent 2 hours. Congrats on the silver. Heading back to work after 3 weeks off......will be a killer! Continued good hunting me bouy! <;)

POKIE73
10-07-2012, 06:28 AM
i would take them finds anytime for a few hours hunt congrats on a good hunt way to make the most of a short time out dennis

Full Metal Digger
10-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Man Tony, you are killing it up there with your e-trac! Pretty soon, Minelab is going to ask you for endorsements! Congrats on the great V nickel. Looks like it got dropped in 1883! BTW, you have a cameo in my latest video. Some of my viewers were surprised at how young you look. They thought maybe you were old, fat and bald! rofl

aloldstuff
10-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Tony, some very smart hunting. :congrats: on your oldest nickle. Add another IH and a silver to the pile, you're having a killer year.

Tony Two-Cent
10-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Some of my viewers were surprised at how young you look. They thought maybe you were old, fat and bald! rofl

Ha ha! We will never let Sydney forget that! lol

milco
10-07-2012, 07:44 PM
BTW, you have a cameo in my latest video. Some of my viewers were surprised at how young you look. They thought maybe you were old, fat and bald! rofl

That's a super video! Welcome back! That privy dig in the middle of the field, wow, now that would be awesome!

Full Metal Digger
10-07-2012, 08:26 PM
That's a super video! Welcome back! That privy dig in the middle of the field, wow, now that would be awesome!

Thanks Milco! I only dug down 3 feet on that privy and got over 30 bottles! I already have permission to do a full excavation this winter. I need to build a sifter though. I'll definitely be making a video about it. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

jkress
10-09-2012, 12:31 AM
As always.... great hunt Tony! :happydance01:

I love the variety of keepers you get in your pocket. :smitten:
You found one of the V's they painted gold back in the day. :peace:

Congrats.