PDA

View Full Version : it pays to save your junk finds

carl2112
10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Last night i was looking thru my finds and i started to clean up some junk rings and i looks like I've got two silver rings i thought were junk. One was black and all bent up after cleaning i could see Sterling on the inside of the band the other looked like those cheap kids rings you get from a quarter machine nut it appears to have 925 stamped on the band it looks like the tops of the numbers are starting to wear away I'll let you guys be the judge

steve in so az
10-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Good eyeballin Carl ! One time I waded through a bunch of rings I have on 2 ropes and found a 10K one that looked like brass. steve in so az

aloldstuff
10-08-2012, 04:40 AM
That is exactly why I have 5 gal buckets of junk in my garage (6 of them), you never know. We have a lot of great finds being posted here and someday I might see something here and say hey I found one of those.

POKIE73
10-08-2012, 05:01 PM
i save all the cooper and brass and sell them with my pop cans today i got a check for 90.00 not bad for junk almost 40 was cooper that i dug dennis

RaZR
10-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I only have one bucket in my garage it's full of copper,brass and aluminum that i'll sort out during winter.
I also went through my old stuff and found a .925 pendant i thought was junk. :yes: It pays to look it over several times.
|:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

ptiworld
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Another suggestions would be to buy some little storage bins with little drawers. That way you don't have a HUGE pile of random stuff years down the road!

nicklehead
10-19-2012, 08:58 PM
i save all the cooper and brass and sell them with my pop cans today i got a check for 90.00 not bad for junk almost 40 was cooper that i dug dennis

So this brings up the question of pre-82 pennies. With 95% coppper the last I looked they were worth 2.2 cents. Has anyone ever approached a recycling center about scraping pennies? I separate them from the zincs and toss them in with the pounds of plumbing fittings and short sections of copper pipe that always pops up. Is that legal?

I suppose one could melt them into a large blob of copper and go from there :-\

milco
10-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I save all my scrap, copper, brass, lead, aluminum, etc. I cashed everything in last year for over $100, it all adds up. Melting pennies is illegal since I think 2005/06 when copper started going through the roof.