PDA

View Full Version : No FOOLING!!

xzlr8n
04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Beautiful day in Upstate NY, clear skys and probably 70-75 degrees :yes:. Kids are off for Easter break and I called it quits for work @ 10:30 today. Went over to my daughter's track meet and watched her run around, took the kids to lunch and called up a buddy of mine who rec'd permission to hunt a real early farm (1790's) that now currently hosts a Farm festival every fall. Thousands of people come to watch rodeo, tractor pulls, farm animals, a saw mill and kid themed attractions. Back in the 40's and 50's the father and Uncles of the owner ran an Old Time Rodeo, flea markets and such.. So ------ my son and I headed up with great expectations. My friend Don introduced me to the owner who knew my Dad, Uncles, and Grandfather and we had a good time chit chatting about them. Eager to get started we surveyed the site which probably covers 5-6 acres of parking, event sites, rodeo arena, old time store center, and various outbuildings. We decide to start right up wher we parked and eventually swing over to the older 40-50's rodeo area which sites across the road from the main farm. First target Don hits in on is a great signal with his Minelab SE and has me check it out with my V3. Solid green bars w/ 86 VDI @ 4. We're both thinking silver quarter!! He goes to digging and pulls out an 1848 Lg Cent :shocked04:. This is a great start and we are all feeling rather good about our prospects. We mill around the area and we find some newer clad and pennies, ok finds but not the old stuff. We angle a bit more before going across the road and check an area in front of the main barn. Some newer change here and a deep signal with my V3 has me hopeful. I let my son dig up this one and it yields a newer stop watch/pocket watch with chromed case and plastic jewel - cool newer relic. From here we head over to the rodeo area that is across the street and hit some newer clad until I hit the '42 Wheat and Merc. The Merc was bent badly but still in great shape and from the pics you can see I flattened it pretty well with some wood and persuasion from a hammer . All in all a great day in the beautiful outdoors and had a great start to what looks to be a great site. We will be hitting this site many more times due to its size. Special thanks to my friend Don for inviting my son and I. With some better finds my son will get the MD fever, had a slow day for him as his finds were few and far between but he hung in there. Thanks for looking and here is to a great weekend of treasure hunting!!!

Ill Digger
04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Boy that sounds like a dream site. :drool:
Hours apon hours of MDing fun.
You did a pretty good job staighting out that merc.
If you wouldn't have said anything I never would of guessed thumbsup01
Awesome finds for you guys !!
Congrats :grin:
When your boy digs up his first IH or piece of silver...that'll set the hook ;)
And you've got the perfect place for him thumbsup01

del
04-02-2010, 02:22 AM
sounds like a great day and that place will be a good spot for many visits i'm sure , congrats on the coins

angellionel
04-02-2010, 05:56 AM
That place sounds like one where you want to spend the entire day detecting. Nice hunt. The merc looks fine after straightening it out. :yes: That large cent has good details too. Don must have had a huge smile. :grin:

John M
04-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Off to a good start at that site.Sounds like it will be an interesting area to hunt,should produce a broad range of finds do to it's past usage.

magic
04-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Great story and pictures! The merc looks good! Nothing like detecting with friends and family. Sounds like a place to go all summer long.

ProPointer
04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Beautiful Matron Head. The merc is in ex-cellent condition! thumbsup01

coinnut
04-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice finds. You got the silver of the day and Don got the large cent :yes: Sounds like an even trade to me. That place should be loaded. But it will be loaded with both good stuff and junk lol The trick is to get in between the junk. Bring a small coil if you have it. Use it where the signals are very close together and switch to the bigger coil for the fields. I would go very slow and hunt a smaller patch instead of wandering around. Gotta admit, I would not be able to sleep if I was detecting a place like that. thumbsup01 I can't wait to see the return trips :drool:

tanacat
04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
86 VDI at 4 is what my 1833 LC was too! Congrats to Don. Great hunt, thanks for the great story/imagery :yes:

Epi-hunter
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Excellent story, great finds!!, and that merc is perfect!!! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
nice day out for sure! like everyone else said ya got alot of ground to cover.hope ya pull some more goodies!

hoser
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
:drool: Oh man that place sounds like a real giver. I would keep hitting it till you get it all. Gotta be a ton more there for the taking. Good job on the bent merc. Wouldn't even know. Well done. thumbsup01