PDA

View Full Version : A Trifecta of Silver Dimes

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I always wanted to say that :grin:

I was able to spend a good amount of time detecting this past week. Although the silver was hard to come by in a couple of really heavily hunted parks, I was happy to find two mercs and my favorite, a 1908-O barber dime, fairly low mintage, in nice shape. The mercs are dated 1927-D and 1941-D.

The mercs were solid hits with beautiful tones, both at about five inches.

The barber dime was found in an area of the park where the ground was very soft and everything sunk very deep. What a great place for the e-trac in a heavily hunted park! It took me twenty minutes to dig the hole, as eventually the digger was so far down that I could not get leverage to keep digging and had to use my hands :shocked04: I estimate it was around twelve inches. The e-trac just amazed me all over again with that coin. The tone was not solid but it was there, and it was consistent.

The photo of the hole doesn't do it justice, but here is the barber dime coming out:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/dimes1.jpg

My detecting partner, always the comedian, was pretending shock at the holes to China I was digging, and peering into them as if looking down at the Grand Canyon. :rolleyes: But I had the last laugh with the barber dime :grin:

Here are all three coins:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/dimes2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

MNDigger
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Glad to see you pulled some great looking silver on your trip Epi! Dare I ask what Angel's silver count was? :grin: I hope you kept your lead and were able to beat him! Great job on the silver!

angellionel
11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Glad to see you pulled some great looking silver on your trip Epi! Dare I ask what Angel's silver count was? :grin: I hope you kept your lead and were able to beat him! Great job on the silver!

She was one determined detectorist. :grin: I managed to scrape two silver dimes. :rolleyes: I'll post my finds later. :)

I had to stand back at the edge of the holes Angie dug, as I peered down the cliff. I think I heard Chinese at one point. :grin:

Very nice finds Angie! I like all three silver dimes, but that Barber is especially sweet. thumbsup01

MNDigger
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I had to stand back at the edge of the holes Angie dug, as I peered down the cliff. I think I heard Chinese at one point. :grin:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Epi-hunter
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
He had me laughing so hard it's amazing I dug anything. Everyone probably gets the impression that he's so quiet and serious, but trust me, it's an illusion :grin:

Thanks Steve and Angel. I was really happy with the E-trac's performance. I am definitely sold on it!

Dave
11-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Nice silver!!! Congratulations!

OkieDigger
11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Great digs!

marchas45
11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Great finds Angie nice looking silver. thumbsup01

bmattioli
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Nice Silver Angie and it must be a thrill to post a Silver Tri-fecta one. That is one heck of a hole but hey you did pull the Barber. Nice mercs as well.. I guessing you guys had a great time!

Bruce

grinsebring
11-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Great day Ang. Looks like your pinpointing skills may need a bit of
work. We do have to cut you a little slack though if you havn't used the etrac that long. Thank goodness for the sunray huh? I remember first time I tried a minelab, I got a nice coin hit. I dug and tunneled, and widened, and cursed till I went back to the car and got the dfx. I wasn't off that much, only 6 inches or so. It was a squashed silver ring. Both detecters can lock onto a target with some practice. Nice dimes, a hat-trick, not a trifecta. thumbsup01...Gil

Snowy
11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Nothing wrong with those kinda finds, ey?
Sounds like you guys had a blast. That's always the best.

All this talk about the e-trac has me curious about it.
But there's one thing I noticed.... that solid signal with little or no bouce on any detector is a definite dig.

So many good detectors out there, I wish we could have one of each!

Krom
11-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Sweet, Ang! 8)

Bentfork
11-02-2009, 09:39 PM
WTG Angie! Take a backhoe next time. :grin: I'm sure the E-Trac can find it.

Gary

Calvin
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Those are some nice dimes!

Epi-hunter
11-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank everyone :)

Gil, the hole looks deceptively wide in the photo, it really was fairly narrow :) but you are right... occasionally I do still struggle with pinpointing. Usually it's when I don't allow enough time to pinpoint properly and from different directions before digging. I tend to be impatient :grin: (no comments from you Angel)

Jason in Enid
11-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Great finds. I LOVE those barbers! They are my favorite coins.

SeabeeRon
11-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Congratz on the Threesome Angie!! thumbsup01