PDA

View Full Version : For what it's worth

bob_e99
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
As I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't been finding much lately, ergo, I haven't been posting much. Saturday started off with a real chill in the air (high 20's) and I decided to change my modus operandi to see if I could shake things up and change my luck. I went south towards Boston and on my way to my first site I spotted a small, very small neglected 'playground'. Well, the grass was mowed but the single swing set (the single plaything on the lot) was rusty with a missing seat and looked like it hasn't seen any use for some time. Knowing the amount of detectorists in the area, I wasn't expecting to hit great gobs of silver but the change of scenery was good for the soul. My first target was a spill with two Susan B. Anthony dollars, two Kennedy half-dollars and a penny. This was the first time that I found a clad half-dollar and I kept imagining what that would have felt like if it had been silver. My third target was a spill of three quarters and from there it was a lot of quarters and some dimes. I still had a couple of other sites that I wanted to hit (my original site, an old school and another playground) so I headed out and didn't do too well at those sites except at one ball park, way outside of the third base line I hit a really bad signal but I could make out the familiar ping of a coin. It turned out to be a Netherland East Indies 1/4 Gulden which was minted in Philadelphia during the war. It contains very slightly more silver than an American mercury dime. In any case, I headed back to my original site and collected some more quarters and then called it a day. Final total was 2 dollar coins, 2 half-dollars, 25 quarters, 20 dimes and 26 pennies for a total of $11.51. The first spill and the sivler coin made it a good day for me.
thanks for looking.

z118
10-14-2012, 10:10 AM
That is a very cool silver coin. Shows that those funny signals can be real keepers sometimes. And a spill of two Susan B's and two halves it a great dig for sure. Clad halves don't turn up too often. Congrats!

POKIE73
10-14-2012, 10:26 AM
i agree that is a neat silver coin and look at the clad somebody was busy congrats on your finds dennis

CODY
10-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Nice, congrats

aloldstuff
10-14-2012, 03:28 PM
That sure was a great spill with the 2 Anthony's and 2 half dollars. Don't see that being dug very often. Congrats on getting some silver. :perfect10: Sometimes it really helps to shake up the system.

Tony Two-Cent
10-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Very interesting finds, Bob! I really like that silver coin, very unusual and a neat looking coin.

Really cool to find a spill of two Kennedy Halves and two Susan B. Anthony dollars too!

Congrats on the finds! :clapping: